Aleph to publish Vikram Seth`s `A Suitable Boy` sequel
New Delhi: Aleph Book Company has acquired publishing rights of Vikram Seth`s much-awaited `A Suitable Girl`, sequel to the 1993 bestseller `A Suitable Boy`. The novel is set for release 2016.
Aleph will also be publishing the 20th anniversary edition of "A Suitable Boy", set to release February 2014.
The announcement came after the author was asked to return a $1.7 million advance by his previous publisher, Penguin, in July, as he had failed to deliver the manuscript of the sequel on time.
Though no figures have been revealed by the publication house on the signing amount, Seth, in a statement released here Monday, said he was happy with the new association.
"I am delighted to be working with David Davidar and Kapish Mehra. My publishing relationship with David goes back 25 years, and I have more respect and affection for him than for any other editor," said Seth.
"As for Lata`s mother (protagonist of `A Suitable Boy`), Rupa Mehra - she tells me that she highly approves of being published by a company backed by her namesake," he added on a lighter note.
Aleph Book Company is promoted by Rupa Publications India.
"It is an honour and a privilege to publish Vikram Seth. We are delighted," Kapish Mehra, managing director, Rupa Publications, said.
Novelist and publisher David Davidar says he is "beyond thrilled" with this deal.
"We are thrilled to be given the opportunity to publish `A Suitable Girl` -- that would be a massive understatement. We are beyond thrilled by the prospect of publishing what will be, without a doubt, the publishing event of the decade," said Davidar, co-founder of Aleph.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui starrer 'Manto' a very big project for me: Nandita Das
- Motherhood teaches you priorities in life: Farah Khan
- Chetan Bhagat shares a trivia about Shraddha Kapoor, Arjun Kapoor's 'Half Girlfriend'
- Working with Amitabh Bachchan was always on my wish list: Esha Gupta
- 'Dangal' director's next film with Sajid Nadiadwala
- First reprint of Adolf Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' becomes German bestseller: Publisher
- A politically incorrect guide to the world's diverse peoples
- Weekend special: Books you can pick
- Mahavir Singh Phogat's biography to launch ahead of 'Dangal' release!
- Hrithik Roshan asks for his copy of 'The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad'; Twinkle Khanna sends a 'funny' frisbee reply!