All about Delhi in a coffee table book
New Delhi, Dec 24: Interested in knowing about the rich past and the fast changing face of Delhi? A coffee table book released Tuesday may end your search.
Titled "Delhi-India in One City", the book embodies centuries of life and living of changing cityscapes and fine architectural masterpieces that draw together ancient fortresses, mediaeval cities, and a metropolis that has embraced the diverse, multi-layered and dynamic reality of India and Indians.
The book brought out by the Academic Foundation in association with the Delhi government was released by Delhi`s Lt. Governor Tejendra Khanna in a function at Hotel Ashok here. Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit has conceptualised the book and also penned down her reflections on the capital in the magnum opus.
Malavika Singh, a publisher of a monthly journal Seminar and a well-known columnist with newspapers and magazines, has contributed the text. Uday Sahay, currently heading the Directorate of Information and Publicity of the Delhi government, has contributed as a photo editor.
Celebrated international author William Dalrymple and Pavan K. Varma, a senior member of the Indian Foreign Service have also contributed to the book.
Khanna described the book as a rainbow of Delhi`s life and sustainability.
Dikshit expressed confidence that this new book would be liked by one and all including foreign visitors.
The book contains information about the capital`s composite culture, religious fervours, traditional hobbies, changing lifestyle, spread out city, cultural and classical extravaganzas and changing architectural aspects.
The book will take the readers through some of the symbols that compel Delhi to stand apart, showcasing an old civilisation and more importantly, an energetic, creative and entrepreneurial young nation grappling with the excitement of constant reinvention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Shivaay’ becomes Ajay Devgn’s biggest international release, to hit theatres in more than 60 countries
- 'Bigg Boss' 10: Priyanka Jagga Muise's message to fans after eviction from show
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Shah Rukh Khan to appear with ‘Dear Zindagi’ co-star Alia Bhatt on Karan Johar’s ‘Koffee With Karan’?
- Diwali 2016: Colours that can add glamour to your attire
- Paul Beatty's 'shocking' and 'unexpectedly funny' novel 'The Sellout' makes him first American to win Man Booker Prize
- Paul Beatty's 'The Sellout' is first US Booker Prize winner
- Jaipur Literature Fest: Swanand Kirkire, Tahmima Anam among speakers at the event
- Nobel Prize 2016: Bob Dylan yet to respond to committee
- Daughters of Jorasanko: The life and times of women who influenced Tagore