Becoming a bookworm could boost your brainpower in old age
Washington: Reading books or writing letters helps keep you mentally active, which in return protects the brain in old age, a study has suggested.
Study author Robert S. Wilson, PhD, with Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, said that their study suggests that exercising brain by taking part in activities like these across a person`s lifetime, from childhood through old age, is important for brain health in old age.
For the study, 294 people were given tests that measured memory and thinking every year for about six years before their deaths at an average age of 89.
They also answered a questionnaire about whether they read books, wrote and participated in other mentally stimulating activities during childhood, adolescence, middle age and at their current age.
After they died, their brains were examined at autopsy for evidence of the physical signs of dementia, such as lesions, brain plaques and tangles.
The research found that people who participated in mentally stimulating activities both early and late in life had a slower rate of decline in memory compared to those who did not participate in such activities across their lifetime, after adjusting for differing levels of plaques and tangles in the brain.
Mental activity accounted for nearly 15 percent of the difference in decline beyond what is explained by plaques and tangles in the brain.
The study found that the rate of decline was reduced by 32 percent in people with frequent mental activity in late life, compared to people with average mental activity, while the rate of decline of those with infrequent activity was 48 percent faster than those with average activity.
The study has been published in the online issue of Neurology, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tiger Shroff starrer 'A Flying Jatt' sequel on cards?
- Amazon Prime Video India partners with Vishesh Films
- Akshay Kumar's 'Gold' based on India's first olympic medal
- Kumkum Bhagya - Episode 694: Abhi saves Pragya yet again from getting killed
- I am completely against banning Pakistani actors in India: Dibakar Banerjee
- Nobel Prize 2016: Bob Dylan yet to respond to committee
- Daughters of Jorasanko: The life and times of women who influenced Tagore
- Twinkle Khanna announces new book titled ‘The Legend Of Lakshmi Prasad’
- Mind Over Money – A book that will help you live a more meaningful life
- New comic book biography for the Beatles legend John Lennon!