Book on coping with parent`s dementia
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh Wednesday released a book titled `A World Within`, which is based on the travails of coping with a parent`s dementia.
"It`s based on parent-child relationship," writer and former journalist Minakshi Chaudhry said.
"This story is a sensitive tale, the story of a man dying in slow motion. This is a tale of a man building bridges to nowhere as he loses his memory and is struck by a deadly disease - Alzheimer`s," she said.
"But this journey has life lessons too... Dementia and Alzheimer`s are still mysteries. We just have a combination of vitamins, anti-depressants and sleep-inducing pills as a prescription. The number of the elderly will increase in coming decades as average life expectancy will rise. Many of them will suffer from diseases, including dementia/Alzheimer`s, and will need loving care, attention and proper handling," says the author of the 241-page book published by Hay House, India.
"This is a big social issue that needs to be taken care of," said the Shimla-based writer.
Her earlier books include ‘Ghost Stories of Shimla Hills’, ‘Love Stories of Shimla Hills’ and ‘Whispering Deodars: Writings from Shimla Hills’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IIFA 2016: Why should girls have all the fun? Ranveer-Fawad-Karan shoot up dapper quotient
- 'Half Girlfriend': Shraddha Kapoor injured on sets!
- IIFA 2016: Priyanka Chopra wins 'Woman of the Year' award, expresses her joy on Twitter! - View pic
- IIFA 2016: Ranveer Singh gets his fanboy moment with Fawad Khan!
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- Woohoo! Indian-American Akhil Sharma wins €100,000 Dublin International literary award
- The Literary Express: How trains carried forward
- JK Rowling asks fans to keep Harry Potter play plot a secret
- ‘Crossed & Knotted’ by Readomania ENTERS Limca Book Of Records!
- Naseeruddin Shah wants to write tell-all book on Bollywood