Book on coping with parent`s dementia
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh Wednesday released a book titled `A World Within`, which is based on the travails of coping with a parent`s dementia.
"It`s based on parent-child relationship," writer and former journalist Minakshi Chaudhry said.
"This story is a sensitive tale, the story of a man dying in slow motion. This is a tale of a man building bridges to nowhere as he loses his memory and is struck by a deadly disease - Alzheimer`s," she said.
"But this journey has life lessons too... Dementia and Alzheimer`s are still mysteries. We just have a combination of vitamins, anti-depressants and sleep-inducing pills as a prescription. The number of the elderly will increase in coming decades as average life expectancy will rise. Many of them will suffer from diseases, including dementia/Alzheimer`s, and will need loving care, attention and proper handling," says the author of the 241-page book published by Hay House, India.
"This is a big social issue that needs to be taken care of," said the Shimla-based writer.
Her earlier books include ‘Ghost Stories of Shimla Hills’, ‘Love Stories of Shimla Hills’ and ‘Whispering Deodars: Writings from Shimla Hills’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mujhse Shaadi Karogi' one of my favourite movies: Priyanka Chopra
- Karan Johar just revealed something interesting about 'Saifeena'! - Details inside
- Morgan Freeman in talks to star in Disney's 'The Nutcracker and the Four Realms'
- Inspirational! Milind Soman is running barefoot from Ahmedabad to Mumbai – Know why
- Ranveer Singh just shared words of wisdom online and we couldn't agree more!