Book on coping with parent`s dementia
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh Wednesday released a book titled `A World Within`, which is based on the travails of coping with a parent`s dementia.
"It`s based on parent-child relationship," writer and former journalist Minakshi Chaudhry said.
"This story is a sensitive tale, the story of a man dying in slow motion. This is a tale of a man building bridges to nowhere as he loses his memory and is struck by a deadly disease - Alzheimer`s," she said.
"But this journey has life lessons too... Dementia and Alzheimer`s are still mysteries. We just have a combination of vitamins, anti-depressants and sleep-inducing pills as a prescription. The number of the elderly will increase in coming decades as average life expectancy will rise. Many of them will suffer from diseases, including dementia/Alzheimer`s, and will need loving care, attention and proper handling," says the author of the 241-page book published by Hay House, India.
"This is a big social issue that needs to be taken care of," said the Shimla-based writer.
Her earlier books include ‘Ghost Stories of Shimla Hills’, ‘Love Stories of Shimla Hills’ and ‘Whispering Deodars: Writings from Shimla Hills’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- People forget celebrities are also human beings: Jacqueline Fernandez
- Khans of Bollywood hungry to do different roles: Shoojit Sircar
- Kangana Ranaut flies to US to prepare for role in 'Simran'
- Sidharth teaches IIT students 'Kaala chashma'
- Would love to direct Ajay Devgn, Kajol in a family drama: Rohit Shetty
- My writing will never be the same, says author Perumal Murugan
- Lily Allen writing a book inspired by Nora Ephron's collection
- Kim Kardashian to update her book of selfies
- Dara Singh's autobiography translated in English, says son
- Book Review: Adolf Hitler's short-lived successor and his contribution