Book on coping with parent`s dementia
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh Wednesday released a book titled `A World Within`, which is based on the travails of coping with a parent`s dementia.
"It`s based on parent-child relationship," writer and former journalist Minakshi Chaudhry said.
"This story is a sensitive tale, the story of a man dying in slow motion. This is a tale of a man building bridges to nowhere as he loses his memory and is struck by a deadly disease - Alzheimer`s," she said.
"But this journey has life lessons too... Dementia and Alzheimer`s are still mysteries. We just have a combination of vitamins, anti-depressants and sleep-inducing pills as a prescription. The number of the elderly will increase in coming decades as average life expectancy will rise. Many of them will suffer from diseases, including dementia/Alzheimer`s, and will need loving care, attention and proper handling," says the author of the 241-page book published by Hay House, India.
"This is a big social issue that needs to be taken care of," said the Shimla-based writer.
Her earlier books include ‘Ghost Stories of Shimla Hills’, ‘Love Stories of Shimla Hills’ and ‘Whispering Deodars: Writings from Shimla Hills’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Going for skin lightening, whitening solutions? Rethink
- Puberty can change the way how humans recognise faces
- Anushka Sharma does an impromptu gig in Libson
- Harshvardhan has daddy Anil Kapoor helping him with Mirzya promotions
- Sushant Singh Rajput's 'MS Dhoni: The Untold Story' becomes second highest opener of 2016!
- PM Narendra Modi launches Hamid Ansari's book 'Citizen and Society', says family is India's biggest strength
- Poet behind book about US racism wins 2016 'genius grant'
- Debut novel makes Man Booker Prize shortlist—Check out who all made it!
- Astronaut Scott Kelly's memoir being developed as movie
- ‘One Indian Girl’: Look what Chetan Bhagat has to say – Details inside