Cinema icons get together to launch Dilip Kumar`s autobiography
Mumbai: The stage glittered as Hindi cinema icons like Amitabh Bachchan, Dharmendra and Aamir Khan, along with veteran actress Saira Banu and author Udaya Tara Nayar, launched thespian Dilip Kumar`s long-awaited autobiography "The Substance and The Shadow" in his presence here on Monday evening.
Legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar, who was slated to sing at the event, couldn`t make it. Held at Grand Hyatt in Santa Cruz here, the red carpet of the event saw celebrities from the old and gold age as well as new generation walk in for the momentous night.
From Zeenat Aman, Danny Denzongpa, Farida Jalal, and Vyjayanthimala to Subhash Ghai, Ayan Mukerji, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Rajkumar Hirani, Madhuri Dixit and Priyanka Chopra attended the gala.
Dilip Kumar`s wife Saira Banu, who looked resplendent in a green sari, was overwhelmed to see the fraternity`s participation in the event, which saw Karan Johar as a host. She hoped the book is appreciated.
Before the event, she said: "Please pray that the dedication we have written the book, it is received by the readers in the same way. Every chapter in the book is important and you all will read something that you have not read before about him."
Born Muhammad Yusuf Khan, the actor entered filmdom with the 1944 release "Jwar Bhata", and thereafter dedicated six decades of his life working in much appreciated films like "Mela", "Naya Daur", "Devdas", "Madhumati" and "Mughal-E-Azam".
His autobiography chronicles the 91-year-old`s life from his days as a child to present - the ups and downs in his life, his family, career, wife and more, as told by him to Nayar, who is a close family friend.
Aamir, who recited a poem penned by Prasoon Joshi specifically for the occasion, said: "We all were eagerly waiting for this big day. I am a huge fan of Yusuf sahab and I was waiting to read his book and his experiences."
Actress Priyanka Chopra, who walked the red carpet, said she was "honoured" to be invited for the event.
"I`m so happy for them today. They have been close to my family for a long time. I have seen all his films and I really admire him," she said.
For Madhuri Dixit, who walked in with her husband Sriram Nene, it was a proud moment to be part of the event.
"Dilip Kumar is a legend in himself and it`s a big day. He has been an inspiration for everybody," she said.
Lata Mangeshkar, who is close to Dilip Kumar`s family, had given her consent to perform at the event, but if sources are to be believed, her ill health didn`t allow her to be present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Shah Rukh Khan wasted an opportunity given by ‘Raees’ team
- Michael Jackson`s Neverland on sale for $100 million
- Witch hunting to be subject of new Assamese film
- Alia Bhatt teams up with mother for new ad
- Sonakshi Sinha's singing performance at IIFA a 'dream come true'
- IBFW 2015 to start on July 15, go beyond metros
- Khloe ready to finalise divorce from Lamar Odom
- 'San Andreas' review: This temblor is worth watching
- Neelesh Misra to scrutinise Indian governance in 'Ramrajya'
- 'Socially appealing' show attracts Amol Palekar back to TV
- 28 years of 'Mr. India' and Anil Kapoor still looks the same
- 'San Andreas' review: This temblor is worth watching
- Check out: Chic album cover of 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Check out: The spicy hindi poster of 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- My character adds suspense to 'ABCD 2': Raghav Juyal
- No plans to make 'Mickey Virus' prequel: Director
- Nawazuddin to play Pakistani journalist in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan'
- Didn't do '50 Shades' because of nudity: Emilia Clarke
- 'Jaws' returning to big screen for 40th Anniversary
- 'Maggie' review- Engaging zombie film
- 'Welcome 2 Karachi' review: Troublesome twosome
- Kangana Ranaut, Shahid Kapoor to star in Vishal Bhardwaj's next?
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490