Closure beats Pygmy Love Queen to be oddest book
London, March 29: Self-help manual "If You Want Closure in Your Relationship, Start With Your Legs" won this year's oddest book title competition, The Bookseller trade magazine said on Friday.
The book took an impressive one-third of the 8,500 votes cast online in The Bookseller's 30th annual competition.
Runner up "I was Tortured By the Pygmy Love Queen", the story of a fictitious World War Two pilot forced to bale out over the jungle, polled a distant 20 percent.
"'If You Want Closure', makes redundant an entire genre of self-help tomes. So effective is the title that you don't even need to read the book itself," said the magazine's deputy editor Joel Rickett.
The winner beat stiff competition from other shortlisted titles including the somewhat niche "Cheese Problems Solved" and "How to Write a How to Write Book" and the rather provocative "Are Women Human? And Other International Dialogues".
The annual competition was launched in 1978 at the Frankfurt Book Fair when it was won by the memorably titled "Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Nude Mice".
Since then, with the exceptions of 1987 and 1991 when no award was granted due, according to Rickett, to a lack of oddness, the weird and wonderful titles have flowed thick and fast with some eyebrow raising winners.
"Joy of Chickens" took the 1980 title, with "The Theory of Lengthwise Rolling" in 1983, "Lesbian Sadomasochism Safety Manual" in 1990, "Living with Crazy Buttocks" in 2002 and "Bombproof Your Horse" in 2004 are but a sample.
However, the 1997 winner "Joy of Sex: Pocket Edition" does stand out among the glittering array, and in September this year the public will be asked to vote for the oddest of all the winners.
"That and 'Nude Mice' probably remain among the weirdest, but it is a strong competition," said Rickett.
"And the quality of weirdness does seem to be improving in part as technology allows greater access to publishing. Certainly we are getting more titles coming forward," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maanayata Dutt’s Karva Chauth celebrations with hubby will wow you
- Diwali 2016 schedule: Festivals and significance
- Salman Khan has some connection with Aishwarya Rai Bachchan starrer Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- Shah Rukh Khan, Alia Bhatt will make you fall in love with them in ‘Dear Zindagi’ new poster
- Shahid Kapoor felt it was important to find somebody who is real and normal
- Nobel Prize 2016: Bob Dylan yet to respond to committee
- Daughters of Jorasanko: The life and times of women who influenced Tagore
- Twinkle Khanna announces new book titled ‘The Legend Of Lakshmi Prasad’
- Mind Over Money – A book that will help you live a more meaningful life
- New comic book biography for the Beatles legend John Lennon!