Delhi Book Fair to host discussions, debates
New Delhi: Seminars, discussions, poetry sessions and interactive programmes for children will engage visitors at the 19th edition of the Delhi Book Fair that kickstarts here Friday, organisers said.
This year, the fair will address the erosion of the reading habit as its theme, "Libraries and Readerships", will focus on the role of libraries in society.
Organised since 1995 by the Federation of Indian Publishers (FIP) in collaboration with the India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO), the nine-day fair will attract over 250 participants from India and abroad. The fair ends Aug 31.
Elaborating on the theme, Ashok Gupta, general secretary of FIP said: "Good libraries were once considered treasures of society. They were part of us, but today reading habits of people are going down. We wanted to raise this issue and so we decided to make it the theme of our fair."
"The aim is to develop neighbourhood libraries. If people work in tandem, it is possible to start from the local area and have small library set-ups," he said.
Apart from the national capital, that dominates the publishing industry, participation of publishers from Agartala, Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand, Kerala, Maharashtra, and international participants from the US and China will mark their presence at this business-to-business event at Pragati Maidan in central Delhi.
Other than displaying treasure troves of books from various genres, there will be discussion on ‘Library and the Reader’, poetry sessions, a seminar on ‘Tales for Today`s Children: Connecting to the Roots’ and an interactive programme for children ‘Sune, Jane, Khele Kahani’.
There will also be a debate organised for university students, on "Environmental Disaster caused due to Development of Vulnerable Hilly Areas".
The fair is open to the public from 11.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m., Aug 23-31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lakme Fashion Week 2016: What made Emraan Hashmi's ramp walk more special! – Details inside
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan spills glamour at Lakme Fashion Week 2016! – View pics
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Sidharth Malhotra felt wonderful doing the US tour! READ
- My writing will never be the same, says author Perumal Murugan
- Lily Allen writing a book inspired by Nora Ephron's collection
- Kim Kardashian to update her book of selfies
- Dara Singh's autobiography translated in English, says son
- Book Review: Adolf Hitler's short-lived successor and his contribution