Dominique re-launches ‘Freedom at Midnight’
37 years after he gave a first hand account of the last years of British rule in India, French literary icon and philanthropist Dominique Lapierre re-launched his bestseller ‘Freedom at Midnight’. Since the book describes one of the gloomiest events in Indian history – the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi, it was only apt to re-launch it on the death anniversary of the Mahatma - 30th January.
At a celestial event attended by diplomats, intellectuals, writers, artists, connoisseurs and opinion leaders, the author held a packed venue as he spoke about his encounters with some of the most prominent personalities in history.
Observing the 61st death anniversary of Gandhi, the author said “There is a story I would like to recall today - the tale of Gandhi’s assassination on the lawns of the Birla House at 5 pm, Jan 30. The police knew that there was a conspiracy to kill Mahatma Gandhi because one of the assassins had been caught before the murder. The police knew the names of those who had come to kill him from Poona (Pune), but did not arrest them”.
The book that was first published in 1975, was a joint collaboration with his long-time friend and co-league Larry Collins. Going back in time, the author spoke about the investigation and the years of hard-work, he and his late friend had put in the book.
Dominique said, "From my encounters with Lord Mountbatten to tracking down the accomplice of Mahatma’s killers, Freedom at Midnight gives a detailed account of the conspiracy that led to the assassination. We had managed to track down Gopal Godse. He told us how for days he had his accomplices, Nathuram Godse, Narayan Apte, Vishnu Karkare and Madanlal Pawha had prepared for the murder”.
Talking about the significance of the book in today’s times, Dominique said, "The significance of the new edition lies in engaging the minds of two generations born into a free country, to enable them to empathetically understand the aspirations and goals that united our leaders then towards the common cause of freedom. The significance lies in invoking the re-awakening of the Indian spirit".
As for his message for today’s youth Dominique said, "It is time for the over 1 billion people in India to ask themselves honestly what their contribution has been thus far towards realizing an India free from poverty, illiteracy and inequality”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shah Rukh Khan catches up on 'Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi'!
- Makers of 'Kashmora' use 360-degree camera rig
- Shilpa Shetty takes Bollywood to London via radio
- 'Gabbar Singh 2' goes on floors, Pawan to soon join
- Regional cuisines to dominate in coming year: Chef Sanjay Thomas
- David Gandy to quit modelling
- Ian Somerhalder refuses to pose for fans
- Kate Moss feels she's as famous as Katie Price
- Dharmendra discharged from hospital, to undergo surgery later
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter family hits 15 million!
- When Anushka, Priyanka waited for the boys!
- Alia Bhatt turns vegetarian!
- Jordin Sparks laughs off breast implant rumour
- Vanessa Hudgens suffering from tendinitis
- Shah Rukh Khan undergoes knee surgery, advised rest
- Gul Panag launches fitness app in Mumbai
- Michelle Obama packs a punch, accepts workout challenge
- Want to lose weight? Eat little, but often
- Tom Hardy reveals painful drug-addled past
- Portia De Rossi opens up about early struggle with bulimia, anorexia
- Tanuja, daughters create breast cancer awareness
- Meditation should be part of school curriculum: Shoojit Sircar
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- CBSE 10th Result 2015: CBSE (cbse.ac.in & cbseresults.ac.in) Class 10 (X Board) Result shortly
- Cbseresults.nic.in working now, check your CBSE Class 10 Board Results 2015
- cbse.nic.in Board Results 2015: CBSE Class 10 Results declared on cbseresults.nic.in
- Watch: Young Sikh boy takes on a bully outside UK school
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser