Doordarshan to launch book-based show `Kitaabnama`
New Delhi: Doordarshan is launching a weekly book show called `Kitaabnama: Books and Beyond` to address literary issues through dialogue and conversation.
Conceived by writer and literary activist Namita Gokhale, who is also the co-director of Jaipur Literature Festival and Mountain Echoes, Bhutan, the show will feature books, readings and encounters with writers from the spheres of Hindi, English, and various Indian languages, as well as guest appearances from international names and voices.
The show will be launched Aug 25. The early episodes will feature a diverse range of celebrated names including Ashok Vajpeyi, Amish Tripathi, Geetanjalishree, Mahesh Dattani, Mahmood Farooqui, Uday Prakash, Urvashi Butalia, Advaita Kala and Lord Meghnad Desai.
"The proliferation of literary festivals, including the incredible success of the Jaipur Literature Festival, has demonstrated the need and desire of audiences to connect with books and writers and to resonate with the world of ideas," said Gokhale in a statement Tuesday.
"The program will have a participatory and inclusive format and showcase the multilingual diversity of Indian literature," she added.
The weekend show will be aired on Saturday on DD National at 6 p.m and on Sunday on DD Bharti at 8 p.m.
As Doordarshan has over 90 percent footprint across the country, the show will reach out to the audience in the heartlands of India. This will in a way act as a bridge between the regional authors and lovers of literature.
"The show is among the positive steps that Doordarshan has recently taken to reach out to the soul of India when many others compete for the ears and eyes. Literature is the `second opinion` that all nations have to seek for their own health, both mental and physical," said Jawar Sircar, CEO Prasar Bharti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Neither Hrithik nor Salman! Anushka to team up with Katrina Kaif on 'Koffee with Karan'
- 'Bigg Boss' season 10: Manu Punjabi exits Salman Khan's show?
- Box Office report: Shah Rukh Khan, Alia Bhatt's 'Dear Zindagi' to cross Rs 50 crore mark today!
- Most searched male celebrity list 2016: Kapil Sharma beats Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan
- Mahira Khan's role chopped in big Bollywood debut 'Raees'—Here's all you need to know
- A politically incorrect guide to the world's diverse peoples
- Weekend special: Books you can pick
- Mahavir Singh Phogat's biography to launch ahead of 'Dangal' release!
- Hrithik Roshan asks for his copy of 'The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad'; Twinkle Khanna sends a 'funny' frisbee reply!
- Ranbir Kapoor clicks with Akshay Kumar at the book launch of Twinkle Khanna's 'The Legend Of Lakshmi Prasad'