DSC Prize 2013 longlist announced
New Delhi: Fifteen titles, including three translated works and four debut works, are in the race for the DSC Prize for South Asian Literature 2013 vying for a $50,000 prize money.
Translated works of two Malayalam authors, Anand and Benyamin have been chosen for their works `Book of Destruction` and `Goat Days`, respectively, while the translation of Marathi filmmaker Sachin Kundalkar`s debut book `Cobalt Blue` is also in the list.
There were over 65 entries for the coveted prize. Out of the 15 names in the longlist, three authors from the subcontinent have also been included.
Pakistan`s Mohsin Hamid and Nadeem Aslam are in the list for `How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia` and `The Blind Man`s Garden`, respectively. Sri Lankan authors Nayomi Munaweera and Ru Freeman have been chosen for their respective works `Island of a Thousand Mirrors` and `On Sal Mal Lane`.
According to Antara Dev Sen, chair of the jury, the longlist offers a wonderful variety of experiences from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
"The list reflects much of the exhilarating and bewildering diversity that is the hallmark of South Asian fiction," she said in a statement.
"I am particularly happy that it includes novels in translation from other Indian languages," she added.
Other novels included in the list are: Cyrus Mistry`s `Chronicle of a Corpse Bearer`, Joydeep Roy-Bhattacharya`s `The Watch`, Manu Joseph`s `The Illicit Happiness of Other People`, Nilanjana Roy`s `The Wildings`, Philip Hensher`s `Scenes from Early Life`, Shyam Selvadurai`s `The Hungry Ghosts`, Sonora Jha`s `Foreign` and Uzma Aslam Khan`s `Thinner Than Skin`.
The novels cover stories around war, terrorism and conflict, and examine issues that occur due to migration, caste or sexual identity, terror and alienation.
The shortlist for the DSC Prize will be announced in November and the winner will be announced at the DSC Jaipur Literature Festival in January 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Kailash Kher unwell, hospitalised
- I'm very conscious about my odour: Irrfan Khan
- 'Poltergeist' movie review- not petrifying enough
- Not easy to make smaller films after working with stars: Venkat Prabhu
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- Rana Daggubati behind Karan Johar, Rajamouli collaboration
- Akshara Haasan approached for Sandakozhi 2'
- Arijit Singh to sing for 'Guddu Rangeela'
- Trial of sea-plane in Goa today
- Suriya's friendly gesture for actor Rahman
- Comic book king Stan Lee to come out with graphic memoir
- Julianna Margulies to author children's picture book
- Unfinished memoirs of Orson Welles found
- Pamela Anderson to launch her photo book
- We are committed to fulfilling Dinkar ji's dreams: PM Modi
- Barbra Streisand's memoir to arrive in 2017
- Chelsea Clinton book 'It's Your World' coming
- British pianist wins right to publish memoirs of abuse
- Hungarian author wins Man Booker prize, edges out Amitav Ghosh
- William Shakespeare's real face appears in botany book
- Show is show, books are books: JRR Martin on 'Game of Thrones'
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp