Enid Blyton - Britain`s Best-Loved Author
London, Aug 19: Enid Blyton has been named `Britain`s Best-Loved Author` in a new survey.
Blyton, creator of the Famous Five books as well as the Secret Seven, Malory Towers and Noddy, topped the survey commissioned to mark the 2008 Costa Book Awards.
Roald Dahl came second while Harry Potter author JK Rowling landed the third spot.
Jane Austen came fourth in the nationwide survey of readers followed by William Shakespeare.
"We are delighted that the British public has voted Enid Blyton its best-loved author. Her storytelling is timeless and this result confirms that her books are still a firm favourite today," the Telegraph quoted Jeff Norton of Chorion, owners of the Enid Blyton estate, as saying.
"What makes Blyton so successful is her imaginative, exciting and magical style. Her writing has sent countless young readers on thrilling adventures and we hope that new generations will continue to enjoy her enchanting stories," he added.
Britain`s top 10 Best-Loved Authors are:
1. Enid Blyton
2. Roald Dahl
3. JK Rowling
4. Jane Austen
5. William Shakespeare
6. Charles Dickens
7. JRR Tolkien
8. Agatha Christie
9. Stephen King
10. Beatrix Potter
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Runway Bridal to return with fourth edition in September
- Mr World 2016 Rohit Khandelwal says it is easier for models to enter Bollywood!
- Sonakshi Sinha does not have aptitude to join politics!- READ
- Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput fulfil grandmother Neelima Azeem's wish!
- Veteran writer Salim Khan hails Bombay HC judgement on Haji Ali
- My writing will never be the same, says author Perumal Murugan
- Lily Allen writing a book inspired by Nora Ephron's collection
- Kim Kardashian to update her book of selfies
- Dara Singh's autobiography translated in English, says son
- Book Review: Adolf Hitler's short-lived successor and his contribution