Enid Blyton - Britain`s Best-Loved Author
London, Aug 19: Enid Blyton has been named `Britain`s Best-Loved Author` in a new survey.
Blyton, creator of the Famous Five books as well as the Secret Seven, Malory Towers and Noddy, topped the survey commissioned to mark the 2008 Costa Book Awards.
Roald Dahl came second while Harry Potter author JK Rowling landed the third spot.
Jane Austen came fourth in the nationwide survey of readers followed by William Shakespeare.
"We are delighted that the British public has voted Enid Blyton its best-loved author. Her storytelling is timeless and this result confirms that her books are still a firm favourite today," the Telegraph quoted Jeff Norton of Chorion, owners of the Enid Blyton estate, as saying.
"What makes Blyton so successful is her imaginative, exciting and magical style. Her writing has sent countless young readers on thrilling adventures and we hope that new generations will continue to enjoy her enchanting stories," he added.
Britain`s top 10 Best-Loved Authors are:
1. Enid Blyton
2. Roald Dahl
3. JK Rowling
4. Jane Austen
5. William Shakespeare
6. Charles Dickens
7. JRR Tolkien
8. Agatha Christie
9. Stephen King
10. Beatrix Potter
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shah Rukh Khan finds his conversations with son AbRam 'most enlightening'
- Confirmed! Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan to recreate 'Karan Arjun' magic in Kabir Khan's 'Tubelight'
- Priyanka Chopra talks about wedding plans, says 'I believe you are single until you are married'
- Alia Bhatt's Filmfare win: You will be amazed to know how father Mahesh Bhatt celebrated
- Madhavan, Pawan Kalyan to speak at India Conference at Harvard
- First reprint of Adolf Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' becomes German bestseller: Publisher
- A politically incorrect guide to the world's diverse peoples
- Weekend special: Books you can pick
- Mahavir Singh Phogat's biography to launch ahead of 'Dangal' release!
- Hrithik Roshan asks for his copy of 'The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad'; Twinkle Khanna sends a 'funny' frisbee reply!