Financially-dependent women prone to bad treatment: French-Turkish author
Kolkata: If women are not financially independent, they are more prone to be treated badly, feels celebrated French-Turkish author with Indian roots Kenize Mourad.
"If a woman is not economically independent she is more prone to being badly treated. Even rich women (married to someone rich) can also be very badly treated if they are financially dependent," said Mourad at the fourth Apeejay Kolkata Literary Festival here Saturday.
Talking about Muslim women and the Indian freedom fighter Begum Hazrat Mahal (the subject of her book "In the City of Gold and Silver") she said: "There`s so much of prejudice against Muslim women in general-they are so submissive, this and that... I wanted to show through my book this woman (Begum Hazrat Mahal) who was a great Muslim woman leader."
Highlighting the importance of intermingling of various cultures, she said that creation of a convivial atmosphere is important today.
"In Lucknow, earlier (the city in which her book is set in) Hindus used to go to Muslim ceremonies and Muslims to Hindu religious ceremonies. There was a lot of conviviality during that time which is important today," said Mourad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Overseas Box Office: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' crosses Rs 200 crore mark
- 'Udi Udi Jaaye' from 'Raees': Check out Shah Rukh Khan, Falguni Pathak's adorable conversation
- Rohit Roy reveals he was offered huge money to enter 'Bigg Boss' as contestant
- 'Jolly LL.B 2' trailer 2: Akshay Kumar brings forward intense side of legal system
- Jallikattu row: Kamal Haasan appeals for calm, says 'none can take away your rights'
- First reprint of Adolf Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' becomes German bestseller: Publisher
- A politically incorrect guide to the world's diverse peoples
- Weekend special: Books you can pick
- Mahavir Singh Phogat's biography to launch ahead of 'Dangal' release!
- Hrithik Roshan asks for his copy of 'The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad'; Twinkle Khanna sends a 'funny' frisbee reply!