Girish Karnad’s darts continue; Tagore joins Naipaul at the receiving end now
Mumbai: Girish Karnad’s tirade against Nobel Laureate VS Naipaul that saw its incipience at a literature festival in Mumbai last week did not merely end with the former accusing the latter of borrowing a western matrix. Karnad, among other things, had earlier called Naipaul tone deaf.
On Thursday, the famous playwright went a step further and called Naipaul an “old fogey and uncreative”. Speaking to reporters after a talk organized by Azim Premji Foundation at its campus in Bangalore, Karnad said, “Naipaul is an old fogey. There is no development in his thought. He is saying the same thing. And he`s been uncreative for the past 10 years.”
Girish Karnad’s darts directed at Naipaul did not stop at that. He went on to say, “His non-fiction is obnoxious and his two novels on India are dreadful. His great books are on the West Indies. He has lived by his books. I think he has written more non-fiction than fiction. And he thinks his non-fiction is more important.”
The renowned playwright was also reported by a daily as saying that Rabindranath Tagore is a great poet, but his plays are “unbearable”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Would love to work with Vidya, Aditya: Kunaal Roy Kapur
- Sonam Kapoor DEFENDS Tanmay Bhat – Here's what she said
- Video alert! ‘Crazy’ Deepika Padukone, Homi Adajania on the sets of Sushant Singh Rajput’s ‘Raabta’
- Revealed! All you want to know about Geeta Basra's baby shower – Details inside
- Kareena Kapoor Khan spotted book shopping in London! – Pic inside