Gulzar, Irrfan promote World Book Fair
New Delhi: Poet-lyricist Gulzar and Bollywood actor Irrfan Khan have lent their support to the upcoming World Book Fair, organised by the National Book Trust here.
"Books are integral part of upbringing of any intense and sensitive human being. Anyone`s personality is defined by the kind of books one reads. So I thought, it would be best to be part of this initiative," Irfaan said.
The actor is part of a "360 degree promotional and advocacy campaign for the upcoming, New Delhi World Book Fair, Asia`s biggest Book Fair," organisers said today.
"The campaign involves a 20 second audio and video clip featuring the two personalties and would be aired on various television and FM radio channels," an NBT spokesperson said.
Irfaan, who has portrayed some of the most intense and charismatic characters on screen, is a self confessed book lover and says he reads avidly.
Poet, writer and director Gulzar has also lent his voice to the campaign that advocates books and reading, especially among the youth.
In his promotional message Gulzar recites a few lines from his poem `Kitabeh`, in which he communicates the way books shape the intense feeling of different facets of human relationship.
"Both Gulzar and Irrfan have name and fame in the field of cinema and literature. They are icons of literature and theatre. It is a good gesture on their part to come forward to promote books and reading in the society," Director, NBT, M A Sikandar said.
Promotions for previous editions of the Fair was done by actor Farooq Sheikh, who passed away recently.
The New Delhi World Book Fair (NDWBF), a major calendar event in the publishing world organised by National Book Trust India (NBT India), is also the largest book fair in the Afro-Asian region.
The first NDWBF was organised in 1972 and since then NBT India has organised 21 editions of this mega event, once every two years. Beginning 2013, it has been turned into an annual affair.
The 22nd edition of the NDWBF is scheduled between February 15 to February 23 in collaboration with India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO) at the Pragati Maidan here.
This year the Poland is the `Guest of Honour` country.
"This year the World Book Fair will attract a good number of young adults and children towards books and reading. NBT hopes to receive similar kind of support from other celebrities in its endeavour to enable a reading society," Sikander said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- THIS actress is playing Maanayata in Sanjay Dutt biopic!
- Ranbir Kapoor's throwback picture will give major flashback feels!
- Priyanka Jagga Muise of 'Bigg Boss 10' fame got her BIG Bollywood ticket?
- My kids can't escape my stardom: Hrithik Roshan
- Jallikattu row: Kamal Haasan hails peace protest, says 'the world is watching us'!
- First reprint of Adolf Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' becomes German bestseller: Publisher
- A politically incorrect guide to the world's diverse peoples
- Weekend special: Books you can pick
- Mahavir Singh Phogat's biography to launch ahead of 'Dangal' release!
- Hrithik Roshan asks for his copy of 'The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad'; Twinkle Khanna sends a 'funny' frisbee reply!