Gulzar remembers Mirza Ghalib!
New Delhi: Remember the television serial on Mirza Ghalib that Gulzar made in 1988?
Twenty years later the Urdu poet remains as strongly imprinted on the mind of the veteran Bollywood lyricist as ever.
Proof of it lies in the fact that on the occasion of Ghalib`s 200th birthday Sunday Gulzar participated in the annual candlelight march in honour of the peerless poet in Delhi.
"It`s an annual ritual started by Pavan Kumar Varma who has researched intensely on Ghalib. Every year on Ghalib`s birthday we Ghalib followers march with candles from the Town Hall in Delhi to Ghalib miyan`s home at Gali Qasim Jaan," Gulzar said.
"Remembering Mirza Ghalib on his birth anniversary is the least we can do. Do you know his house had been converted into a coal depot until Atal Bihari Vajpayeeji stepped in to rescue the monument from doom. Now Ghalib`s home is a museum and a shrine which we visit every time on his birth anniversary. If it wasn`t for Ghalib, I wouldn`t be a poet," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi launches Hamid Ansari's book 'Citizen and Society', says family is India's biggest strength
- Poet behind book about US racism wins 2016 'genius grant'
- Debut novel makes Man Booker Prize shortlist—Check out who all made it!
- Astronaut Scott Kelly's memoir being developed as movie
- ‘One Indian Girl’: Look what Chetan Bhagat has to say – Details inside