Hinduism pundits or Hindu baiters?
Title: Invading the Sacred: An Analysis of Hinduism Studies in America: Editors: Krishnan Ramaswamy, Antonio de Nicolas and Aditi Banerjee; Publisher: Rupa; Pages: 545; Price: Not listed.
This book is a compilation of the Hindu anger that followed questionable scholarship on Hinduism studies in the US, primarily by those linked to the powerful American Academy of Religion. The anger had been simmering in the Indian Diaspora for a long time. It took one man, Rajiv Malhotra, to hit back at the American experts on Hinduism, notably the well known Wendy Doniger. Malhotra accused these pundits of unleashing ‘Hinduphobia’. This was the tipping point. The spark spread like a wildfire in the Indian American community, forcing the American academics to brand the accused as `Hindutva` and `saffron` preachers.
What Malhotra and others - including some white Americans with personal spiritual connections to Hinduism -- found was that many inauthentic translations and interpretations had been popularized by these "experts". One of the culprits shockingly described one of India`s most respected spiritual gurus, a worshipper of Kali, as a sexual pervert and more.
Indian critics of such dubious scholarship uncovered more. There was recurring overemphasis on Hindu Goddess` sensational, sexual and violent aspects. The favourite target was Kali. Male Hindu Gods were not spared either. There were virtual pornographic interpretive descriptions of some of the better known Gods, so demeaning that had members of another community uttered these very words, there would be bloody riots in India. And tantra, we are told, is not a legitimate spiritual process!
Since these books were authored by Doniger and (mostly) her students, they would eventually get into American textbooks, popular culture and media, "thus becoming the accepted lenses through which many aspects of Indian culture are viewed". Indeed, an introductory college textbook said that Shiva temples were "notorious for all kinds of extreme practices, including ritual rape and murder". All these had devastating consequences for Hindus in the US, particularly to Indian American children in classrooms.
Malhotra and the others rightly complained that Doniger and other American scholars tend to stereotype Hindu thought and traditions, trivializing its rationality. "Hinduism, like all faiths, has its problematic aspects." But what disturbed the Indian Diaspora was that some high profile scholars "allege that these abuses are the very essence of Hinduism, and not an aberration". When Doniger authored the section on Hinduism in Microsoft`s Encarta Encyclopedia, it had to be withdrawn when it was found to be full of bias and stereotypes.
This is a powerful book, as powerful as the entrenched American experts on Hindu studies. It includes essays that are critical analyses of what is dished out to be factual knowledge on one of the world`s oldest religions. Others are critical of the application of European ideas to Indian culture. The book is also "an attempt to reverse the gaze on the West".
By M.R. Narayan Swamy
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'The Spectacular Jihad...' inspired by 9/11 attacks
- Jackie Chan opens acting school in China
- I’ve fallen in love with acting, says Lauren Gottlieb
- Pulkit Samrat 'can't wait' to watch 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- History lessons for 'Gour Hari Dastaan' cast
- Shakti Kapoor to play crazy professor in upcoming film
- Playing Kashibai emotionally draining for Priyanka Chopra
- Shraddha Kapoor visits 'Baaghi' set ahead of shoot
- Expert detoxification guide for brides-to-be
- Salman Khan thanks Aamir, Shah Rukh for 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' poster release
- 'Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya blaze'
- Ashlee’s behaviour got her booted
- Photog dies of heart attack after ‘shooting’ Lady Gaga
- Carey’s dogs have their own entourage!
- Posh’s Christmas gift for Becks – micro-pigs!
- Lady Gaga voted Weirdest Star
- Lindsay threatened by fake gun!
- Man can’t touch his ‘creamy’ wife!
- `A Celeb`s life is similar to a vampire’s’
- Psychic contacts Jackson`s spirit
- Cheryl Cole listens to her own records
- The spookiest hotels of US
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in