Indian publishing industry growing at 30 pc every year
London, April 20: Describing country`s publishing industry as vibrant, the Indian High Commissioner to the United Kingdom Shiv Shankar Mukherjee said it is growing at an impressive rate of 30 percent every year.
"We come out with about 70,000 titles every year," Mukherjee said last evening at a reception he hosted at India House in the honour of leading writers and publishers on the eve of the three-day London Book Fair, which focuses on India at the Earl`s Court.
Prominent among those present on the occassion included economist and author Lord Meghnad Desai, playwright, actor and
filmamaker Girish Karnad, Bollywood actress Shabhana Azmi and her lyricist husband Javed Akhtar, Information Technology czar
and author Nandan Nilekani and author Vikram Seth.
The High Commissioner noted that 30 per cent of titles brought out in India were in English and the rest in Indian languages.
"There is tremendous amount of talent in our country," he said.
Over 50 authors and 90 publishing houses from India are participating in the Book Fair.
Mukherjee, while launching a Amit Gupta`s latest book `Indian by Choice`, said "it was a personal pleasure to launch Amit`s book as he was my deputy when I was heading the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) in New Delhi."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Court order narrows pop icon Prince's potential heirs to six
- Supreme Court directs actor Rajpal Yadav to undergo 6-day jail term
- The wedding trailer of Divyanka Tripathi-Vivek Dahiya is beautiful in all possible ways- WATCH magic taking over!
- Post her lip-kiss spree with Ranveer Singh in 'Befikre' THIS is what Vaani Kapoor has to say about kissing- READ
- Arjun Rampal cannot get enough of Sidharth Malhotra-Katrina Kaif's 'Kala Chashma'