Indian publishing industry growing at 30 pc every year
London, April 20: Describing country`s publishing industry as vibrant, the Indian High Commissioner to the United Kingdom Shiv Shankar Mukherjee said it is growing at an impressive rate of 30 percent every year.
"We come out with about 70,000 titles every year," Mukherjee said last evening at a reception he hosted at India House in the honour of leading writers and publishers on the eve of the three-day London Book Fair, which focuses on India at the Earl`s Court.
Prominent among those present on the occassion included economist and author Lord Meghnad Desai, playwright, actor and
filmamaker Girish Karnad, Bollywood actress Shabhana Azmi and her lyricist husband Javed Akhtar, Information Technology czar
and author Nandan Nilekani and author Vikram Seth.
The High Commissioner noted that 30 per cent of titles brought out in India were in English and the rest in Indian languages.
"There is tremendous amount of talent in our country," he said.
Over 50 authors and 90 publishing houses from India are participating in the Book Fair.
Mukherjee, while launching a Amit Gupta`s latest book `Indian by Choice`, said "it was a personal pleasure to launch Amit`s book as he was my deputy when I was heading the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) in New Delhi."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bill Murray receives Mark Twain prize
- Rock On 2 TRAILER OUT! Shraddha Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar and team strike the right chord
- Rangoon diaries: Kangana Ranaut REVEALS about her experience of changing clothes behind rocks!
- Ajay Devgn's BIGGEST fear is losing loved ones
- Anoushka Shankar coming to India for six city tour
- Nobel Prize 2016: Bob Dylan yet to respond to committee
- Daughters of Jorasanko: The life and times of women who influenced Tagore
- Twinkle Khanna announces new book titled ‘The Legend Of Lakshmi Prasad’
- Mind Over Money – A book that will help you live a more meaningful life
- New comic book biography for the Beatles legend John Lennon!