Literature is jewel of society: Javed Akhtar
New Delhi, May 31: Veteran writer-lyricist Javed Akhtar termed literature as the jewel of the society.
He said this at a function to mark the release of a book here last evening.
The event was the release of the book titled ‘Ek Rukh Yeh Bhi’ written by Aruna Mukhim.
Speaking on the occasion, Akhtar said, "Any society without literature is, it has not worn any jewellery but literature is not the only the jewel of the society but much more."
He further stated that India has progressed a lot but the people have not given the due priority to literature.
"India has progressed a lot but in this progress we have left few things. We have left few things behind on the platform and literature is amongst them," he added.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, literary figure Ashok Chakradhar, who is well known for his humour and Bollywood actor Nadita Das were among other eminent persons present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bolivian woman wins Gabriel Garcia Marquez short-story prize
- Priya Parmar's novel among NYT's 100 notable books of 2015
- JK Rowling reveals mystery of naming of Harry Potter's child
- Intolerance row: Writers withdraw names from Bangalore Literature Festival
- Havens, menaces or challenges: Forests in literary imagination