Literature is jewel of society: Javed Akhtar
New Delhi, May 31: Veteran writer-lyricist Javed Akhtar termed literature as the jewel of the society.
He said this at a function to mark the release of a book here last evening.
The event was the release of the book titled ‘Ek Rukh Yeh Bhi’ written by Aruna Mukhim.
Speaking on the occasion, Akhtar said, "Any society without literature is, it has not worn any jewellery but literature is not the only the jewel of the society but much more."
He further stated that India has progressed a lot but the people have not given the due priority to literature.
"India has progressed a lot but in this progress we have left few things. We have left few things behind on the platform and literature is amongst them," he added.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, literary figure Ashok Chakradhar, who is well known for his humour and Bollywood actor Nadita Das were among other eminent persons present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Iulia Vantur finally opens up about marriage rumours with Salman Khan!
- Is THIS the reason why Farhan Akhtar refused to act in Akshay Kumar's 'Gold'?
- Abhishek Bachchan to star in Prabhu Deva's 'Lefty'—Here's all you need to know
- Vivah Panchami: Celebrating the divine marriage of Lord Ram and Goddess Sita
- Superstar Rajinikanth injured on sets of '2.0'
- A politically incorrect guide to the world's diverse peoples
- Weekend special: Books you can pick
- Mahavir Singh Phogat's biography to launch ahead of 'Dangal' release!
- Hrithik Roshan asks for his copy of 'The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad'; Twinkle Khanna sends a 'funny' frisbee reply!
- Ranbir Kapoor clicks with Akshay Kumar at the book launch of Twinkle Khanna's 'The Legend Of Lakshmi Prasad'