Marvel Comics has Muslim girl as Ms Marvel
Los Angeles: Comic book firm Marvel Comics will bring back Ms. Marvel as a 16-year-old Muslim girl called Kamala Khan.
Ms. Marvel, who made her first comic book appearance in 1967, had superhuman strength and precognitive powers. Her real name was Carol Danvers and she was blonde and blue eyed.
In the new comic, Khan has devotedly followed Danvers’ career and takes on her idol`s name after discovering that she has new powers, reports independent.co.uk.
Khan lives in Jersey city with her family who hail from Pakistan. She can shrink and grow her limbs and will eventually be able to shape-shift into other forms.
Ms. Marvel is being written by G. Willow Wilson with art by Adrian Alphone.
They`re working with editor Sana Amanat who said the revival of the character was part of a "desire to explore the Muslim-American diaspora from an authentic perspective" as well as a teenage coming-of-age story.
Wilson, a convert to Islam, said: "I wanted Ms. Marvel to be true-to-life, something real people could relate to, particularly young women."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Never wrote open letter to PM about Dawood: Sunil Grover
- Have to be obsessive to play a character: Shah Rukh Khan
- Hrithik Roshan judges his films with first copy itself
- Honesty, sincerity behind 'Dangal' worked in its favour: Director Nitesh Tiwari
- Bollywood stars praise Yuvraj Singh's incredible century!
- First reprint of Adolf Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' becomes German bestseller: Publisher
- A politically incorrect guide to the world's diverse peoples
- Weekend special: Books you can pick
- Mahavir Singh Phogat's biography to launch ahead of 'Dangal' release!
- Hrithik Roshan asks for his copy of 'The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad'; Twinkle Khanna sends a 'funny' frisbee reply!