Nobel Prize for Literature to be announced October 11
New Delhi: The winner of the coveted award-Nobel Prize for Literature will be announced on Thursday, October 11, the Swedish Academy said on Monday.
Its permanent secretary Peter Englund will make the much-awaited announcement in Stockholm at 1:00 pm (1100 GMT). The date for the literature prize is revealed only a few days in advance, while the dates for the other prizes are known several months ahead of time.
The Nobel season for this year started on Monday with the announcement of the medicine prize, followed by the physics prize on Tuesday and chemistry on Wednesday.
The literature laureate is traditionally revealed on a Thursday during the Nobel week.
The peace prize winner is scheduled to be announced on Friday, and the economics prize on Monday, October 15.
In line with tradition, the Swedish Academy gave no indication of its choice for the literature prize. It never reveals the names it is considering, and its deliberations are sealed for 50 years.
No favourites have emerged for the 2012 prize, but Stockholm literary circles have suggested that it is time for the prize to be given to a woman or a North American.
Only 12 of the 108 Nobel Literature Prize laureates since 1901 have been women. The last North American to win the award was US writer Toni Morrison in 1993.
Last year, the honour went to Swedish poet Tomas Transtroemer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rani Mukerji Chopra shares first pic of daughter Adira, writes heartfelt message on her birthday
- 'Mr Perfectionist' title doesn’t interest Aamir Khan any more! Here's what he would like to be called
- 'Baywatch' trailer is out! Lifeguards Dwayne Johnson, Zac Efron save the beach, Priyanka Chopra turn heads
- Manu Punjabi to re-enter the 'Bigg Boss 10' house tonight?
- Aman Verma and Vandana Lalwani all set to tie the knot on THIS date!
- A politically incorrect guide to the world's diverse peoples
- Weekend special: Books you can pick
- Mahavir Singh Phogat's biography to launch ahead of 'Dangal' release!
- Hrithik Roshan asks for his copy of 'The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad'; Twinkle Khanna sends a 'funny' frisbee reply!
- Ranbir Kapoor clicks with Akshay Kumar at the book launch of Twinkle Khanna's 'The Legend Of Lakshmi Prasad'