Noted writer Kamala Das passes away
Thiruvananthapuram, May 31: Well-known writer Kamala Surayya, whose works in English and Malayalam commanded a wide readership, died at a hospital in Pune in the wee hours on Sunday.
Kerala-born Surayya, known as Kamala as before she embraced Islam around 10 years back, breathed her last at Jahangir hospital in Pune, literary circles here said.
She was 75 and had been keeping ndifferent health for quite some time.
Her works include the famous memoirs "My story", which has been translated into several Indian languages.
Kamala penned poems and short stories with equal ease. In Malayalam, she wrote scores of short stories using the pen name Madhavikutty.
Daughter of Management expert V M Nair and renowned poet Balamaniyamma, Kamala was born in the Nalappad family in Punnayurkkulam in Thrissur district. Her husband Madavdas, an RBI official, predeceased her.
She is survived by two sons, including well-known journalist MD Nalappad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Saif Ali Khan injured, rushed to hospital! – Details inside
- IIFA 2016: Madrid applauds 'Best Actor' Ranveer Singh for 'Bajirao Mastani', actor feels grateful!
- Here's what Aishwarya Rai has to say about 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' co-actor Ranbir Kapoor!
- Hurrah! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' got cleared by CBFC with NO CUTS!
- Jacqueline Fernandez dusts down rumours on doing 'Don 3'!
- Woohoo! Indian-American Akhil Sharma wins €100,000 Dublin International literary award
- The Literary Express: How trains carried forward
- JK Rowling asks fans to keep Harry Potter play plot a secret
- ‘Crossed & Knotted’ by Readomania ENTERS Limca Book Of Records!
- Naseeruddin Shah wants to write tell-all book on Bollywood