Noted writer Kamala Das passes away
Thiruvananthapuram, May 31: Well-known writer Kamala Surayya, whose works in English and Malayalam commanded a wide readership, died at a hospital in Pune in the wee hours on Sunday.
Kerala-born Surayya, known as Kamala as before she embraced Islam around 10 years back, breathed her last at Jahangir hospital in Pune, literary circles here said.
She was 75 and had been keeping ndifferent health for quite some time.
Her works include the famous memoirs "My story", which has been translated into several Indian languages.
Kamala penned poems and short stories with equal ease. In Malayalam, she wrote scores of short stories using the pen name Madhavikutty.
Daughter of Management expert V M Nair and renowned poet Balamaniyamma, Kamala was born in the Nalappad family in Punnayurkkulam in Thrissur district. Her husband Madavdas, an RBI official, predeceased her.
She is survived by two sons, including well-known journalist MD Nalappad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'What Every Man Thinks About Apart From Sex': Book leaves 'Harry Potter' behind to become bestseller
- Arvind Kejriwal launches Emraan Hashmi's book on son defeating cancer
- Emraan Hashmi son turns 'Iron Man'
- Stamps issued to mark William Shakespeare's 400th death anniversary
- Book to be penned on Kabir Bedi's mother