Nothing cinema in Bollywood director Mansoor Khan`s first book
New Delhi: Director-producer Mansoor Khan, famed for giving blockbuster Hindi cinema musicals dropped off the cinema radar, to surface recently as an author whose first book speaks of concepts of economics and the role of energy.
Khan, known for cinematic hits like ‘Qayamat se Qayamat Tak’ and ‘Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander’, has in his first book titled ‘The Third Curve: The End of Growth as we know it’ dealt with economic growth through the prism of oil and energy and looks at possibilities to a world where communities transition to a primary local lifestyle.
"My life started to change in the year 1997 when the government wanted to acquire my father`s land. I started reading up and researching on the rights of people and the natural resources available and then came across the concept of Peak Oil. It made sense to me immediately," Khan told PTI after the launch of his book here recently.
A term coined by US geologist M King Hubbert, "Peak oil", is used to signify the problem of depletion, of the world`s production of oil which is a finite, non-renewable resource, that has powered economic and population growth in the past.
The American predicted that the rate of oil production in the world will follow in the path of bell shaped curve curve and after hitting a "peak" will fall at a terminal rate, bringing to an end the availability of cheap oil. This, he said would result in severe economic and social consequences.
Mansoor Khan, says he read many books and blogs and opinions of experts on the subject helped him form his own understanding of the subject.
"Many people say there are now alternative sources of energy to oil like solar energy and wind energy etc. But what they fail to understand is that the resources of the earth are finite and you cannot run an infinite economic model of growth based on the reality of a finite planet," says Khan.
Now based in the hill city of Connoor in Tamil Nadu, Khan who studied Computer Science at IIT-Mumbai, Cornell University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology was nudged into cinema by his father, veteran filmmaker Nasir Hussain.
"I had made my home in Coonoor I run an organic farm there and was exploring the facets of delusions of the modern lifestyle. I came across Hubbert`s Peak Oil concept and thought somebody or the other would certainly write about it. But nobody did and post the 2008 recession I thought people would be more receptive to idea, so here I am," says Khan.
Khan, who helped launched the career of leading names in Bollywood, including his cousin and actor Aamir Khan, says he "did not apply his mind" to making a film on the subject.
"The medium of the movie is slightly limited. It is mostly entertainment and in the end how well the script has been written. I feel I have written the book pretty well and if the opportunity arises it could also be made into a movie," says Khan who has self published the book.
The author says he has "no intention of playing a moral cop" and wants people to "view the book as a new lens through which they can make sense of the world."
Khan writes about the inevitable future of energy descent and the end of growth where people feel the effects of economic shrinkage by virtue of reduction in production, factory close-downs and disappearing jobs.
"I talk about a transition model where people do not wait for the governments to make the change. They take initiatives like eating locally, buying local food, look at alternative agricultural models etc," says Khan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Ahsaan Qureshi in talks for 'Tu Mera Hero'?
- Azharuddin trains Emraan for biopic 'Azhar'
- Still in discussion: Ekta Kapoor on female lead of 'Azhar'
- 'PK', joint productions create Bollywood buzz in China
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Neha Sharma to romance John Abraham in 'Hera Pheri 3'
- I was called silly for doing 'Fashion': Priyanka Chopra
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' cast to rock 'Comedy Nights With Kapil'
- Shah Rukh Khan discharged from hospital after knee surgery
- Anupam Kher 'admires honesty' of body shamers
- Popular porn film carries message about testicular cancer
- Alanis Morissette believes breastfeeding can be `intimidating`
- Pamela Anderson says `learned a lesson` after divorcing Rick Salomon again
- Ashton Kutcher: Don't print paparazzi pics of my baby girl
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Being Human 'Veer Campaign' to help in skill training 5 lakh people with disabilities
- This is why Cara Delevingne hates modelling industry
- Kim K to her career critics: 'Try it. I dare you'
- Novelist F Scott Fitzgerald's 'Gatsby' home up for grabs
- Taylor Swift's ex beau Joe Jonas finds Gigi Hadid dating rumors funny
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly