Nude studies central to Indian art history: New book
New Delhi: The study of the nude has been central to the history of Indian art in its journey from prehistoric cave art, the temples of Khajuraho, Vatsayan`s Kamasutra to modern portraitures by masters across genres and mediums despite the growing protests by right-wing groups.
What role can carnal play in high art?
"At a more popular level, in folk and tribal art, erotic motifs and symbols are a recurring theme. In both forms, erotica again plays a dual role: it is seen as cultic, religious practices and in the recreational activities of communities," says critic-curator Alka Pande in her book, ‘Indian Erotica’.
Pande says the human body can be used in art to portray social realities as well.
In 1954, artist Akbar Padamsee found himself in court defending a painting, ‘The Lovers’.
Controversy had broken out that the naked couple on Padamsee`s canvas represented modern decadent values, says a new book on art, ‘The Naked and the Nude: The Body in Modern Indian Art (Delhi Art Gallery)’.
Recalling Indian art`s early encounters with nudity, the book says Mumbai artists, bred on Parisian Bohemianism, led the "still largely imagined lifestyle of Pablo Picasso and Henri Matisse, known for their sensuous iconography, beautiful models and equally famous dalliances".
According to the book, in Calcutta too, artists used live models, but it was Mumbai that had been the hub of portrait painters.
"What provided offence was not the subject of the nude as much as its distortion," the book says.
In one of the galleries of the National Gallery of Modern Art are two paintings ‘Sleep’ and ‘Woman at Bath’ by Amrita Sher-Gil, which show her matured approach to painting the human body.
In ‘Sleep’ - painted in 1933 - Sher-Gil used sister Indira as the model to paint a sensuous woman in bed. The ‘Woman at Bath’, painted in 1940, distorts the nude form to create something more vital and basic, showing her artistic mastery over the human body.
In a 1934 work, the artist used her own self as a model "with full breasts and a mere wrap around her waist in a nod to the Tahitian nudes that had been painted by Paul Gaugin", the book says.
The human body became an experimental muse for members of the Progressive Artists` Group in 1948. Founder-member of the group Francis Newton Souza extolled the human body throughout his career, the book says.
Souza`s ‘The Blue Nude’ is among his earliest known works, which he painted when he was expelled from the JJ School of Art in Mumbai in 1948. It opened his career as a master of the human form with thousands of nude studies.
Souza`s mother "Lily Mary was a seamstress and the teenager Souza would spy on her customers as she measured them for clothes," the book recalls. He cut a peephole in the bathroom door through which he watched his mother bathe.
In comparison, MF Husain`s figures were "almost classical perhaps because the artist moulded his bodies to an Indian tradition". KH Ara was not shy of displaying the "full body". His nudes were contemplative and weighty but there was no perfection in line.
Among the Kolkata artists, Jogen Chowdhury had created a huge body of nude that were corpulent and intimate.
The artist says the body has often returned to his paintings as "realistically formed with supernatural eyes from traditional Bengali sculptures".
"It is a pity but I feel that we still have not acquired an attitude of ease and responsibility in our man-woman relationship. So we conjure myths - good or bad - about women and their sexuality," artist Bikash Bhattacharjee, known for his nude studies, had said in an interview.
Artist Anjolie Ela Menon, who had attempted to paint women in red light areas of Mumbai, retained a "contemplative sensuousness and even strength" in her nude studies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amal Clooney wants to be on Vogue's cover
- Kanye West's marriage will last 'forever', says stepmom
- Model-actress Kelly Brook planning family
- Chelsea Handler goes topless in Bahamas
- Khloe Kardashian, Rick Fox spark dating rumours
- 'Mission Impossible 6' already in developement
- Richa Chaddha's 'Masaan' wins Fipresci award at Cannes
- My mom, wife worried about my health: Aamir Khan
- Found my inspiration from a 'besura' singer: Harmeet Singh
- Always had Irrfan, Amitabh Bachchan in mind for 'Piku': Sircar
- Richa Chaddha extends Cannes trip for 'detox'
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Sharon Osbourne taking month long break form 'The Talk'
- 'Supergirl' won't have cross over with 'Arrow' and 'The Flash'
- Time has come to quit 'Doctors': Ian Kelsey
- Nick Nolte to play disgraced US president in new series
- 'Heroes Reborn' brings back Greg Grunberg
- Marvel's 'Empire of the Dead' to be adapted for TV
- Divyanka Tripathi intimidates her fans
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Ahsaan Qureshi in talks for 'Tu Mera Hero'?
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh