Oscar, Booker winning author Ruth Prawer Jhabvala dies at 85
New York: German-born screenwriter and novelist Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, the only person to win both an Oscar and a Booker prize and lived in Delhi for 25 years, died here today.
Ruth(85), married to an Indian Parsi architect Cyrus H Jhabvala, had a long association with Merchant Ivory Productions which yielded her two Academy Awards for her work on the films `A Room with a View` and `Howards End`, both adapted from Edwardian-era novels by E M Forster.
Born into a Jewish family in Cologne, she breathed her last at her home in Manhattan after a long illness.
According to James Ivory, the director with whom she collaborated, the cause of death was complications of a pulmonary condition.
Ruth is survived by husband and daughters Renana, Ava and Firoza-Bibi.
She made more than 20 films with producer Ismail Merchant and director James Ivory over a period of 40 years.
India was the inspiration for many of her stories, including her eighth novel `Heat and Dust`, which won her the Booker in 1975. Merchant Ivory`s 1983 film based on the novel and which starred Shashi Kapoor marked their breakthrough from arthouse exclusivity to popular success.
Ruth wrote 19 novels and short-story collections that reflected the cultures she absorbed on three continents during her half-century career.
The family fled Adolf Hitler in 1939, when Ruth was 12 and she became a British citizen in 1948.
She married Jhabwala in 1951 and moved with him to Delhi, where she spent the next quarter-century as a privileged, somewhat reclusive housewife raising three daughters and writing novels about the new culture in which she found herself. Many readers assumed she was Indian.
According to reports, her last short-story collection, "A Lovesong for India," was published in 2011, and her last story for The New Yorker appeared in its March 25 issue.
The story, "The Judge’s Will" tells of a long-married woman in Delhi dealing with the news, and presence, of her husband’s longtime mistress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Adult film actress Jessica Drake accuses Donald Trump of sexual misconduct
- Happy that protests against Karan Johar's movie are over: Madhur Bhandarkar on 'ADHM' row
- Children helping Angelina Jolie to rethink divorce tactics from Brad Pitt
- Here's how to get glowing skin this Diwali
- Shabana Azmi slams Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis—Here's why
- Nobel Prize 2016: Bob Dylan yet to respond to committee
- Daughters of Jorasanko: The life and times of women who influenced Tagore
- Twinkle Khanna announces new book titled ‘The Legend Of Lakshmi Prasad’
- Mind Over Money – A book that will help you live a more meaningful life
- New comic book biography for the Beatles legend John Lennon!