Picture books can boost your child`s vocabulary
London: A study has claimed books having photographs but no words prove ideal for building children`s language skills. And, the parents can help their kids the best if they used such books for the bedtime story.
According to experts, parents turning to wordless storybooks end up spending time discussing the pictures and answering their toddler`s questions -- exposing them to complicated words, Daily Mail reported.
Psychologists from the University of Waterloo, Canada, looked at 25 mothers as they read their children a set of bedtime stories.
They found the mothers used more advanced language when they picked up a picture book compared to a book with words.
Study author Daniela O`Neill said: "Too often parents will dismiss picture storybooks, especially when they are wordless, as not real reading or just for fun.
"But these findings show that reading picture storybooks with kids exposes them to the kind of talk that is really important for children to hear."
O`Neill said while reading the picture story, "we would hear mums say things such as `where do you think the squirrel is going to go?` or `we saw a squirrel this morning in the backyard`."
"But we didn`t hear this kind of complex talk as often with vocabulary books, where mentioning just the name of the animal, for example, was more common."
However, O`Neill also said books of all kinds could build children`s language and literacy skills, "but they do so perhaps in different ways".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- The Inspiring Journey Of Classic Beauty J Jayalalithaa In The World Of Celluloid
- Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, other film stars express condolence over Jayalalithaa's demise
- Shahid Kapoor sets makeshift gym for 'Padmavati' role!
- Making of 'Dhaakad Girls' SONG from Aamir Khan's 'Dangal will inspire you!
- 'Befikre' Aditya Chopra makes RARE appearance; pens heart-warming letter on why Ranveer Singh starrer is his 'second first film'!
- A politically incorrect guide to the world's diverse peoples
- Weekend special: Books you can pick
- Mahavir Singh Phogat's biography to launch ahead of 'Dangal' release!
- Hrithik Roshan asks for his copy of 'The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad'; Twinkle Khanna sends a 'funny' frisbee reply!
- Ranbir Kapoor clicks with Akshay Kumar at the book launch of Twinkle Khanna's 'The Legend Of Lakshmi Prasad'