New Delhi: The bookcart this week is full of innocent surprises.
1. ‘Rahul’; Written by Jatin Gandhi and Veenu Sandhu; Published by Penguin India; Priced at Rs.499
"My father was in politics, my grandmother was in politics. So, it was easy to enter politics. This is a problem and I am a symptom of the problem. I want to change it," says Rahul Gandhi in his biography.
Perceptions of Rahul Gandhi range from hope to an overexposed dynastic scion. The book tries to probe the man.
2. ‘Rebels in Rajasthan’; Written by Shamim Padamsee; Published by Penguin India; Priced at Rs.125
Vayu`s and Deeya`s uncle Jadoo had been kidnapped by an evil djinn. Now, they need to locate the seven keys that will free him. The djinn has hidden the keys all over India.
Helped by the magic window frame, the children land in Rajasthan where they look for clues to find the key. They come across a princess in distress as they look for the key. Their task becomes difficult.
3. ‘And All is Said: Memoir of a Home Divided’; Written by Zareer Masani; Published by Penguin India; Priced at Rs.299
The writer draws from the personal correspondence and letters of his parents, late politician Minoo Masani and Shakuntala, to paint a portrait of their lives.
Masani was a Bombay Parsi while his wife was a Kayasth from Uttar Pradesh but their marriage bound them together despite their different political affiliations and temperaments.
4. ‘Alexander: Child of a Dream’; Written by Valerio Massimo Manfredi; Reprinted by PanMacmillan for India; Priced at Rs.330
A boy is born to great king Philipn of Macedon and his queen Olympias. Under the tutelage of Aristotle and with the friendship of the great historians and philosophers Ptolemy and Hephaiston, Alexander conquers the world.
It is considered one of the best novels about a historical character. It was first published in 2001.
5. ‘The Hidden Child’; Written by Camilla Lackberg; Published by Harper Collins; Priced at 6.99 pounds.
Crime writer Erica Falck is shocked to discover an old Nazi medal among her mother`s belongings. Inspired to dig deep into her past, she visits a retired history teacher for answers. Two days later, he is dead.
A terrible secret from the darkest days of the World War II comes to light and their families` histories are right in the heart of it.