Sahitya Akademi honours Javed Akhtar for Urdu Poetry
Zee Media Bureau/ Aparna Mudi
New Delhi: The 2013 winners of the prestigious Sahitya Akademi Award have been announced. Bollywood song writer – lyricist has been awarded for poetry in Urdu language.
The award function will be held in March 2014 during the Festival of Letters, and the winners will be awarded a sum of 1 Lakh, and a copper plaque containing a shawl.
Along with Javed Akhtar, several other poets and writers are being awarded for their literary works in different languages.
Bengali poet Subodh Sarkar’s ‘Dwaipayan Hrader Dhare’ also won the prestigious award in Bengali. Other winners for poetry are Namdev Tarachandani, Arjun Charan Hembram, Radhakant Thakur, Ambika Dutt, Sitaram Sapolia and Anil Boro.
Writer Temsula Ao, from Nagaland won the award for her English short stories ‘Laburnum for My Head’.
Jury members representing the 22 Indian languages recommend the awards that are further approved by the Executive Board of the Sahitya Akademi. The Sahitya Akademi works to propagate Indian writers, playwrights and poets in English and other Indian languages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi launches Hamid Ansari's book 'Citizen and Society', says family is India's biggest strength
- Poet behind book about US racism wins 2016 'genius grant'
- Debut novel makes Man Booker Prize shortlist—Check out who all made it!
- Astronaut Scott Kelly's memoir being developed as movie
- ‘One Indian Girl’: Look what Chetan Bhagat has to say – Details inside