Sharat Sardana passes away aged 40
London, Jan 31: Sharat Sardana, the writer of Emmy Award-winning comedy ‘Goodness Gracious Me’, has died after contracting a rare infection. He was 40.
With shows like ‘The Kumars at Number 42’, Sardana helped bring British Asian comedy to mainstream audiences.
A long-time collaborator with actors Meera Syal and Sanjeev Bhaskar, Sardana died at Whipps Cross University Hospital on Tuesday, the east London hospital said.
Jon Plowman, executive producer of BBC Comedy, said: "It`s a very sad day for comedy to lose a writer who managed to help comedy break through in the way that Goodness Gracious Me did.
"Sharat began his career at the BBC as a very insightful and enthusiastic script editor and went on to co-create, with his writing partner Richard Pinto, the ground-breaking comedy that gave us the British Asian perspective on the world.
"He never forgot that comedy should be funny first and provocative second. This is a truly shocking loss."
It is believed that Sardana collapsed at his father``s home, suffering from a streptococcal virus, a news daily reported.
His cousin, Anita Kirpal, said he brought family humour to a wider audience.
She said: "We are shocked and devastated by this tragic loss. Sharat was always very witty. He was able to take family jokes and make them work with a wide audience."
Sardana, who was born in Wanstead, achieved fame and fortune after writing the popular BBC series Goodness Gracious Me. He then went on to write and produce The Kumars At No 42. Most of his characters were based on his family members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paul McCartney buys $15.5 million penthouse
- Dyeing hair helped Eva Green
- Michael Caine 'never tempted to stray' from wife
- I don't jump out of a trunk naked in 'The Duff': Ken Jeong
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Ahsaan Qureshi in talks for 'Tu Mera Hero'?
- Azharuddin trains Emraan for biopic 'Azhar'
- Still in discussion: Ekta Kapoor on female lead of 'Azhar'
- 'PK', joint productions create Bollywood buzz in China
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Ramayana miniatures go on show in Canberra
- Teenagers throws spotlight on social issues through theatre
- Paul Walker's 'Fast and Furious' Supra auctioned off for USD 185K
- No winning or losing in art: Helen Mirren
- 'Jungle Me Mangal': Matheran culture fest opens Thursday
- Lost 'My Fair Lady' songs to be performed after 60 years
- 'Hamilton' wins 2015 OBIE Award
- Music, performing arts festival near Pune from May 29
- Islamic calligraphy exhibition at National Museum
- 'Summer Art Carnival' to begin at National Gallery of Modern Art
- Elton John plans big screen adaptation of 'Billy Elliot'
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in