Sherlock Holmes set for modern makeover
London, January 19: Sherlock Holmes is being revamped to be presented as a modern, contemporary character for a BBC version of the tales.
The makeover, masterminded by ‘League Of Gentleman’ actor Mark Gatiss and ‘Doctor Who’ writer Steven Moffat, will see the genius in a milieu of computers, MP3 players and mobile phones, and minus his signature clothes.
The 60-minute film, titled ‘Sherlock’, already in production, will depict the pipe-clenching crime-fighter as an injured veteran from conflict in Afghanistan, the same starting point as in the original story created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Gatiss explained why a modern-day Holmes would not be suprising.
"When you read the stories, you realise Holmes is an extraordinary modern man in a modern metropolitan London,” the Scotsman quoted him as saying.
"They weren`t period stories to the people that were reading them, so we worked off exactly the same principle. We are not only keeping the essential character of Holmes, we are restoring it," he added.
But David Stuart-Davies, who has authored books and plays based on the hero, expressed his fears that the character’s renowned powers of deduction might be compromised in the period of DNA and CCTV.
He said: "I suspect it may well work, but one thing that does concern me is that Holmes had to rely on his own brain power. Now, if Holmes were trapped in darkest Dartmoor with the hound of the Baskervilles coming towards him, he would simply be able to call for help on his mobile phone."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, other film stars express condolence over Jayalalithaa's demise
- Shahid Kapoor sets makeshift gym for 'Padmavati' role!
- Making of 'Dhaakad Girls' SONG from Aamir Khan's 'Dangal will inspire you!
- 'Befikre' Aditya Chopra makes RARE appearance; pens heart-warming letter on why Ranveer Singh starrer is his 'second first film'!
- Kahaani 2 weekend collections: Vidya Balan starrer mints Rs 16 cr
- A politically incorrect guide to the world's diverse peoples
- Weekend special: Books you can pick
- Mahavir Singh Phogat's biography to launch ahead of 'Dangal' release!
- Hrithik Roshan asks for his copy of 'The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad'; Twinkle Khanna sends a 'funny' frisbee reply!
- Ranbir Kapoor clicks with Akshay Kumar at the book launch of Twinkle Khanna's 'The Legend Of Lakshmi Prasad'