Two books on erotic Sanskrit literature now in English
New Delhi: Stories of love and longing from ancient Sanskrit literature, lesser known among modern readers have been rendered into English by retired diplomat and Haksar, acclaimed for his translation of the Kama Sutra.
In "The Seduction of Shiva: Tales of Life And Love" Haksar has compiled an eclectic stories of erotic love from ancient Sanskrit texts which academics have estimated to have been spread over a period of 1500 years, nearly a millennium from the present times.
"All great literature deals with the theme of the relation between the sexes and I have tried to bring together a collection of stories covering as big a period as possible," Haksar said during the book release here recently.
The first story in the anthology talks about how the god Shiva is seduced by Mohini, the female form assumed by Vishnu. In another tale, Urvashi curses the Pandava prince Arjuna when he rejects her advances. The protagonist in another story pursues pleasure first as a man and then as a woman.
"All great literature deals with the theme of the relation between the sexes and I have tried to bring together a collection of stories covering as big a period as possible," says the author.
"The stories in the `Seduction of Shiva` have been taken over a over 1500 years let me drew material from not only from what is called secular writing but also literature traditionally regarded as scriptural like tales from the Puranas," says Haksar.
The story of Bodhisattva, before he became the Buddha is also narrated in the tome.
"The tale of Prince Sudhana from the eighth century Divyavadana is also a love story, the only one in my knowledge which features the future Buddha as a lover," the author says.
Most jataka accounts of his deeds in former births dwell on the cultivation of virtues like compassion, truth patience and self control as prerequisites for eventual enlightenment points out Haksar
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gulzar reveals Rajesh Khanna acted in 'Anand' at a nominal fee
- UK police to probe Pakistan-born actor Marc Anwar's anti-India rant
- Getting threats over 'Parched', claims director
- PM Narendra Modi lauds Amitabh Bachchan's latest 'Swachh Bharat Mission' video, urges people to make India open defecation free!
- Harshvardhan Kapoor, Saiyami Kher in 'Mirzya' second TRAILER set the mood for classic tale! Watch here
- PM Narendra Modi launches Hamid Ansari's book 'Citizen and Society', says family is India's biggest strength
- Poet behind book about US racism wins 2016 'genius grant'
- Debut novel makes Man Booker Prize shortlist—Check out who all made it!
- Astronaut Scott Kelly's memoir being developed as movie
- ‘One Indian Girl’: Look what Chetan Bhagat has to say – Details inside