Vargas Llosa says latest novel his `most optimistic`
Segovia (Spain): Nobel laureate Mario Vargas Llosa says his latest novel, `El heroe discreto` (The Discreet Hero), reflects on the growth and consolidation of democracy in Peru, making the work his "most optimistic" so far.
The Peruvian writer, who also holds a Spanish citizenship, discussed his latest work during an appearance Saturday at the Juan Bravo Theatre in Segovia.
Vargas Llosa told Spanish writer Juan Jose Armas Marcelo, who hosted the event, that he took up the changes in Peru, comparing it to 20 or 30 years ago, when Latin America was "a continent full of military dictatorships".
The 77-year-old Nobel laureate said his work now showed more respect for older people.
"Since I have gotten old, I am less critical and harsh with the old in my novels than I was as a young man," Vargas Llosa, the author of `Pantaleon y las visitadoras` (Captain Pantoja and the Special Service) and `La tia Julia y el escribidor` (Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter), said.
Vargas Llosa talked about the importance of literature before a packed house in Segovia.
"Literature allows us to live other lives, to get out of a reduced and mediocre place, and to identify with destinies that break the mold of normality, that allow us to live burning passions, that turn us into adventurers," he said.
The writer also discussed Peru`s rich cuisine, noting that "the authoritarian tradition forced the imagination and fantasy to seek prudent ways of expressing themselves".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karanvir Bohra's wifey Teejay Sidhu shares latest pic of her newborn and it's so adorable!
- Aamir Khan’s ‘Dangal’ title track out and it’s awesome!
- Akshay Kumar's 'Jolly LLB 2' new still OUT, trailer set for Dec 19 release!
- Aamir Khan's 'Koffee With Karan' to be a solo affair?
- #ThrowbackThursday! Ranbir Kapoor in a shower cap is beyond cuteness
- A politically incorrect guide to the world's diverse peoples
- Weekend special: Books you can pick
- Mahavir Singh Phogat's biography to launch ahead of 'Dangal' release!
- Hrithik Roshan asks for his copy of 'The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad'; Twinkle Khanna sends a 'funny' frisbee reply!
- Ranbir Kapoor clicks with Akshay Kumar at the book launch of Twinkle Khanna's 'The Legend Of Lakshmi Prasad'