Vargas Llosa says latest novel his `most optimistic`
Segovia (Spain): Nobel laureate Mario Vargas Llosa says his latest novel, `El heroe discreto` (The Discreet Hero), reflects on the growth and consolidation of democracy in Peru, making the work his "most optimistic" so far.
The Peruvian writer, who also holds a Spanish citizenship, discussed his latest work during an appearance Saturday at the Juan Bravo Theatre in Segovia.
Vargas Llosa told Spanish writer Juan Jose Armas Marcelo, who hosted the event, that he took up the changes in Peru, comparing it to 20 or 30 years ago, when Latin America was "a continent full of military dictatorships".
The 77-year-old Nobel laureate said his work now showed more respect for older people.
"Since I have gotten old, I am less critical and harsh with the old in my novels than I was as a young man," Vargas Llosa, the author of `Pantaleon y las visitadoras` (Captain Pantoja and the Special Service) and `La tia Julia y el escribidor` (Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter), said.
Vargas Llosa talked about the importance of literature before a packed house in Segovia.
"Literature allows us to live other lives, to get out of a reduced and mediocre place, and to identify with destinies that break the mold of normality, that allow us to live burning passions, that turn us into adventurers," he said.
The writer also discussed Peru`s rich cuisine, noting that "the authoritarian tradition forced the imagination and fantasy to seek prudent ways of expressing themselves".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'The Spectacular Jihad...' inspired by 9/11 attacks
- Jackie Chan opens acting school in China
- I’ve fallen in love with acting, says Lauren Gottlieb
- Pulkit Samrat 'can't wait' to watch 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- History lessons for 'Gour Hari Dastaan' cast
- Shakti Kapoor to play crazy professor in upcoming film
- Playing Kashibai emotionally draining for Priyanka Chopra
- Shraddha Kapoor visits 'Baaghi' set ahead of shoot
- Expert detoxification guide for brides-to-be
- Salman Khan thanks Aamir, Shah Rukh for 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' poster release
- 'Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya blaze'
- Chrissy Teigen wants to adopt children
- Jason Statham likes to 'get drunk'
- Nicole Scherzinger adjusting to singledom
- Kanye West almost killed while hiking
- No point in fighting ageing, says George Clooney
- Khloe Kardashian draws criticism for wearing niqab
- I was wrong to start fight with Tyson Beckford: Chris Brown
- Lindsay Lohan may complete community service on time
- Jennifer Lopez debuts short hair
- Taylor Swift says being a pop star is not that hard
- Keira Knightley welcomes 1st child with hubby James Righton
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in