Aamir Khan to donate Rs.1.1 mn for Mumbai film fest
Mumbai: Bollywood actor-producer Aamir Khan Thursday said he is donating Rs.1.1 million towards supporting the Mumbai Film Festival, which is facing a funds crunch for its forthcoming 16th edition this year.
"Hey guys, the Mumbai Film Festival 'MIFF' needs our help. I'm donating 11 lakh. It would be really great if all of you came forward and donated as much as you can to make it happen! Thanks. Love. a," Aamir posted on his Facebook and Twitter page.
Aamir has joined a list of cinema lovers who have come forward to save the fest, organised annually by the Mumbai Academy of Moving Image (MAMI).
MFF director Srinivasan Narayan is glad that the efforts are finding support from actors of Aamir's stature.
"We hope all the Khans of Bollywood do the same. We are thankful that Aamir has tweeted about donating the sum and he has also asked others for support. We met his wife Kiran Rao yesterday (Wednesday), but we didn't know that this (the donation) was coming," said.
The organisers are yet to receive the donation, but Narayanan said: "The moment he (Aamir) says he's donating, it's a commitment."
An online social campaign #pledge4MAMI has helped the MFF organisers gather steam in their endeavour to raise the required budget of Rs.5 crore for the film extravaganza, scheduled to be held Oct 14-21.
"We have so far managed to raise around Rs.2 crore. The festival will happen 100 percent, and we're sure we will be able to manage the rest of the money. We are hoping to raise the amount by Monday (Sep 8)," he added.
Filmmakers, including Rajkumar Hirani and Vidhu Vinod Chopra, have also provided financial aid to ensure that the fest features on the city's cultural and festival calendar.
Cinestaan Film Company, promoted by Anand Mahindra and Rohit Khattar, has committed Rs.60 lakh to the fest, the future of which seemed bleak only a few days back due to lack of sponsors and funds.
Manish Mundra, Vivek Kajaria, Nilesh Navlakha, Hansal Mehta and Anupama Chopra are also among the many others who have turned guardian angels for the festival.
With the end of a five-year-long partnership with Anil Ambani's Reliance Entertainment, the organisers have been on the lookout for a title sponsor and additional funds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- TV mogul Simon Cowell wants a daughter
- I'm absolutely fine: Adah Sharma on accident rumour
- Johnny Depp names adopted bat Jacki Sparrow
- Blake Lively takes to fashion designing
- Choi Min-sik wins Grand Prize at Baeksang Awards in Seoul
- 'Baahubali' trailer to launch in Dolby Atmos sound
- Sameera Reddy blessed with baby boy!
- Miss India UAE Nivetha debuts in 'Oru Naal Koothu'
- Daddy Akshay Kumar goes mango plucking for daughter
- Demi Moore, daughter look identical in new image
- When Martin Sheen felt 'powerless'
- Revealed: First look of Salman Khan in`Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check out: Amitabh Bachchan tweets 'Piku' key chain!
- Cancelled 'Justice League' film gets documentary
- `Tomorrowland` tops North American box office
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Know about Vidya Balan's 'Adhuri Kahani'
- Akshay cosies up with Amy in 'Singh is Bliing'
- It's a wrap for Akshay Kumar's 'Singh Is Bliing'
- Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra supports, promotes young Milkha
- Over 25,000 actors vie to be Poonam's hero
- Dwayne Johnson's 'Shazam' to release before 2019
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams