Actress Kamala Lopez defends women`s rights
Los Angeles: Actress and filmmaker Kamala Lopez, a staunch defender of women`s rights, has become actively involved in a project that seeks to raise awareness about the need to amend the Constitution to guarantee equality.
Her activism has won her the 2011 Woman of Courage Award from the National Women`s Political Caucus, which she will receive July 27, when House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi will also be honoured.
Lopez is director of the E.R.A. Education Project, a national media campaign to raise awareness about the Equal Rights Amendment.
The New York-born Lopez began her acting career at 14 with a role on "Sesame Street".
A graduate in philosophy and theater from Yale University, Lopez said that throughout her life she has had an undeniable tendency to get involved in social issues.
She debuted as a filmmaker in 2009 with "A Single Woman", about the life of the first US congresswoman, Jeannette Rankin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Riteish Deshmukh crosses 2 million mark on Instagram – Pic inside!
- Shah Rukh Khan is a huge, humble star: Waluscha De Sousa
- Rishi Kapoor spills the beans over son Ranbir Kapoor’s break-up with Katrina Kaif?
- Shocking: Malaika Arora no more a 'Khan' after separation from husband Arbaaz?
- Salman Khan strikes candid pose with nephews Arhaan and Nirvaan! – Pic inside