Akshay Kumar opens cancer shelter for policemen
Mumbai: Actor Akshay Kumar has inaugurated a cancer shelter for policemen and named it after his late father Hari Om Bhatia.
The 45-year-old already has a production house Hari Om Entertainment with wife Twinkle Khanna. The actor`s father was an ex-army man and had undergone chemotherapy in the past.
According to sources, the actor wanted to build a shelter home for policemen in memory of his father`s difficult times during the treatment. Any policeman, who is undergoing cancer treatment here, can avail of the shelter`s services, including food and AC rooms with TV sets, by paying just Rs.400 per day.
"It has been a long-standing dream for me. Besides Mr. Arup Patnaik (ex-Mumbai police commissioner), I am very thankful to Satyapal Singhji (current commissioner), deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar and Maharashtra home minister R.R. Patil, for helping me make my dream come true," Akshay said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Emraan Hashmi takes up 'Fear vs Neerja' challenge!
- Can't take freedom of speech for granted; religion in politics is not healthy: Kamal Haasan
- Sunny Deol's fans give thumps up to 'Ghayal Once Again', mints Rs 14.85 cr!
- Henry Cavill flaunts new look for upcoming flick 'Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice'
- Second dialogue promo of 'Neerja' is here!