Amy Winehouse died of ‘five times over limit’ drinking binge

Updated: Oct 27, 2011, 15:49 PM IST

London: Amy Winehouse’s cause of death has been revealed to be due to excessive drinking and not because of any drug intake.

The coroner’s verdict stated the late singer’s death as a misadventure by drinking excessively, with alcohol limit being found to be more than five times the drink-drive limit.

Three empty vodka bottles (two large and one small), were found at the ‘Rehab’ hitmaker’s flat where she was found dead.

According to a pathologist, the fatal level is 350mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood, but Winehouse’s post mortem examination recorded 416mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood, the BBC reported.

The R and B star’s family were pained by the fact that she had lost her battle with alcohol, and issued a statement saying, “We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away - it is likely a build-up of alcohol in her system over a number of days.”

“The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time,” the statement read.

ANI