Bad guys are always more fun: Mel Gibson
New Delhi: Cop, folk hero, journalist, a mentally challenged young man. In his almost four decades in filmdom, Mel Gibson has donned myriad roles. But the Hollywood actor-filmmaker says he has a soft corner for playing the `bad man`, and admits he`d love to play a superhero some day.
The Academy award winner believes there`s a certain "fun" in essaying negative characters.
"Bad guys are always more fun! And if you find the bad in the good guys, it`s more fun," Gibson said.
The 57-year-old lived this `fun` while playing a villain in the upcoming action exploitation film ‘Machete Kills’, which is being released in India by Picture Works in October.
"I play a villainous arms dealer who is an evil genius. It is a pretty interesting character," he said of his role in the movie, which is a sequel of 2010 film ‘Machete’.
In Sylvester Stallone`s action-legend sequel ‘The Expendables 3’ also, Gibson is likely to play a villain.
As much as Gibson is enjoying the bad guy acts, he wouldn`t mind donning masks to play a superhero on the big screen some time soon.
"I would have loved to play a superhero. It would be exciting and something out of this world," said Gibson.
While shooting for ‘Machete Kills’, the `fun` doubled up for Gibson as he shared the frame with popular actor Danny Trejo, who plays the title role in the film.
"Well, working with Danny Trejo was really fun and it was a great experience. He is so full of life and energised all the time," said Gibson, who also stars with Lady Gaga, Jessica Alba, Vanessa Hudgens and Charlie Sheen in the same film.
Gibson, who was born in the US and raised in Australia, started his tryst with cinema as an actor. His debut big screen project, ‘Summer City’, an Australian film, released in 1977. Thereafter, he featured in TV series, and eventually made inroads into Hollywood, making his mark with films ‘Tim’, ‘Lethal Weapon’, ‘Signs’, ‘Bird on a Wire’, ‘Hamlet’, ‘Braveheart’ and ‘What Women Want’.
The actor takes pride in being called an action hero.
"I have always loved doing action movies. It`s good to know that people call me an action hero," said Gibson.
As much as he likes being in front of the camera, Gibson has also tasted success for his skills at direction. He has helmed films like ‘The Man Without a Face’ (1993), ‘Braveheart’ (1995), ‘The Passion of the Christ’ (2004) and ‘Apocalypto’ (2006).
The action-filled epic ‘Braveheart’ was nominated for 10 Academy Awards at the 68th edition of the prestigious event. It won five, including the best picture and best director Oscar for Gibson. His epic drama film ‘The Passion of the Christ’ was also nominated for the Oscar.
"Direction was something that was on my mind for quite some time. It was a new experience, and I got to learn a lot from it," said the multifaceted star.
It goes without saying that paparazzi are no stranger for someone with the popularity that he enjoys. So, Gibson merrily admits that he has often disguised himself to avoid unwanted attention.
"They try to follow you around everywhere and it gets a bit uncomfortable. Yes, there are times where I have disguised myself," said Gibson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Entourage' soundtrack out in June
- Rob Kardashian checks into rehab
- Check out: How cute AbRam looks in Shah Rukh's shoes
- My character adds suspense to 'ABCD 2': Raghav Juyal
- Remo is a better director than choreographer: Prabhudheva
- Getting perfect pitch possible for some adult musicians
- Michael Jackson's former home for sale
- Lindsay Lohan's probation finally ends
- TV news may lead to racial bias
- Kylie Jenner planning to leave reality TV
- How to look good without eye makeup
- Check out: How cute AbRam looks in Shah Rukh's shoes
- 'American Idol' was worst experience for Mariah Carey
- Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner headed towards USD 150 M divorce
- Dharmendra may soon undergo shoulder surgery
- R Madhavan one of the most wonderful actors: Hirani
- Perception is that I had it easy: Jackky Bhagnani
- You can never win from media: Amitabh Bachchan
- Madhuri Dixit gets FDA notice for endorsing Maggi
- Tochi Raina to raise funds for Nepal quake victims
- Facing media not easy: Amitabh Bachchan
- Dharmendra is fit and fine: Esha Deol
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in