Bengal names road after Suchitra Sen, to erect memorial
Kolkata: The West Bengal government Friday renamed the road leading to the residence of legendary Bengali actress Suchitra Sen after her besides deciding to erect a monument in her honour at a city crematorium.
"A memorial will come up at Mysore Garden where Suchitra Sen was cremated. Besides, the Ballygunge Circular Road will be renamed as Suchitra Sen Sarani," said Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee here.
Sen, 82, died Friday morning following a massive cardiac arrest after remaining at a city nursing home for nearly a month.
Sen was cremated at the Keoratola crematorium (Mysore Garden) with full state honours and a 21-gun salute.
In 2012, the state government conferred its highest award "Banga Bibhushan" on Sen in absentia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cannes 2016: Guess who Sonam Kapoor plans to take along?
- People often think I am Bengali: Vidya Balan
- Confirmed: Sehban Azim and Jennifer Winget not in a relationship!
- This viral puzzle is making the internet go crazy! Can you solve this?
- Amar Singh a friend, has right to say anything: Amitabh Bachchan