Bengal names road after Suchitra Sen, to erect memorial
Kolkata: The West Bengal government Friday renamed the road leading to the residence of legendary Bengali actress Suchitra Sen after her besides deciding to erect a monument in her honour at a city crematorium.
"A memorial will come up at Mysore Garden where Suchitra Sen was cremated. Besides, the Ballygunge Circular Road will be renamed as Suchitra Sen Sarani," said Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee here.
Sen, 82, died Friday morning following a massive cardiac arrest after remaining at a city nursing home for nearly a month.
Sen was cremated at the Keoratola crematorium (Mysore Garden) with full state honours and a 21-gun salute.
In 2012, the state government conferred its highest award "Banga Bibhushan" on Sen in absentia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Robin Wright, Ben Foster call off their engagement again?
- Barack Obama visits federal prison in trailer of 'Fixing The System'
- Robert Downey Jr celebrates 10th wedding anniversary
- Shraddha, director Shujaat great additions to Rock On 2: Arjun
- Venice Film Festival premiere of Scorsese's short cancelled
- Don't have any views: Arjun Rampal on divorce rumours
- Lakme Fashion Week: Sooraj Pancholi rocks first solo walk for Masaba collection
- Salman Khan wishes Nagarjuna on 56th birthday, unveils his son's movie teaser
- 'Dilwale': Farah and Shah Rukh beat Iceland cold with warm hugs!
- Kabir Khan got the 'best gift' from Salman Khan