Big B rekindles `Yaarana` in Kolkata
Kolkata: History repeated itself after three decades Saturday as Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bacchan walked down the very tunnel of the Netaji Subhash Indoor Stadium here through which he had sauntered majestically during one of the scenes of the 1981 blockbuster ‘Yaarana’.
The legend of Indian cinema, who recently turned 70, said: "Kolkata will always have a special place in my heart. Every time I came here, I was welcomed with such warmth, love and adulation which I have never found in any other part of the world."
The superstar was in the city to inaugurate the 18th Kolkata International Film Festival (KIFF) at the stadium with Shah Rukh Khan, on a special invitation from West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
The chief minister expressed her respect for Bachchan.
"Amitabh ji last came to the Netaji Indoor Stadium here for the shooting of `Yarana`. Because he has come we are moved, and entire West Bengal is proud because he has inaugurated the film festival. He belongs not only to India, but is also a legendary film figure in the world," said Banerjee at the inauguration.
‘Yaarana’, which came out in 1981 sees the actor walking through the tunnel at the Netaji Indoor Stadium onto a makeshift stage and belting out the popular hit "Saara Zamana" to a packed audience.
At the inaugural ceremony of the film festival Saturday, he walked down the same path leading to the dais to tumultuous applause from national and international guests.
"The people here have the special knack of lifting your spirits. So I always say if you are depressed, come to Kolkata. The people here will lift your spirit," he said, attired in a black bandhgala coat.
As a special tribute to Bacchan, KIFF will screen seven of his cult films, including ‘Deewar’, ‘Abhiman’ and ‘Black’.
The film festival, running from Nov 10-17, will screen 189 movies from 60 countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Feel sad to not see KKR at Eden: Shah Rukh Khan
- Anushka Sharma feels 'terrible' on being sick, misses fun with DDD boys
- Anil Kapoor, Ranveer Singh cheer for MI, Farhan Akhtar wants to catch a sixer
- Anushka Sharma has evolved as an actor, person: Ranveer Singh
- Haryana to set up three museums
- 'Mohenjodaro' wraps up 101 days of shoot in Bhuj
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' a world-class film: Anil Kapoor
- Every single child is unique: Priyanka Chopra
- Salman Khan to attend sister's reception in Himachal
- 'Andaaz' clocks 12 years; Priyanka Chopra, Lara Dutta nostalgic
- Dwayne Johnson sets selfie world record
- Meghan Trainor to do `special song` with Harry Styles
- Two of Drake's songs leak online
- Kanye West's marriage will last 'forever', says stepmom
- Found my inspiration from a 'besura' singer: Harmeet Singh
- Badshah's new song 'Pinjra' on honour killings
- One Direction will not replace Zayn Malik: Simon Cowell
- Katy Perry to release new album by 2016
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' breaks Vevo record with 20.1m views in 1day
- Paul McCartney pens new songs for film adaptation of his book
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' breaks Vevo record
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Mbose SSLC 10th Results 2015: Meghalaya Board (mbose.in & megresults.nic.in) Class 10th exam results 2015 to be announced today on May 25
- Mbose HSSLC 12th Arts Results 2015: Meghalaya Board (mbose.in & megresults.nic.in) Class 12th Arts exam results 2015 to be announced today on May 25
- CBSE Class XII Board Results 2015 to be out on Monday