Bruno Mars to plead guilty in cocaine possession

Last Updated: Monday, February 7, 2011 - 10:27

London: He is up for seven Grammies this year but break-out star Bruno Mars is not celebrating as he has reportedly decided to plead guilty to the charge of cocaine possession.

Mars told a Las Vegas judge Friday that he`ll plead guilty in state court on Valentine`s Day to a felony cocaine charge that would be wiped from his record if he stays out of trouble for a year, reported People magazine.

Mars, whose real name is Peter Hernandez, and a trio of defence lawyers agreed not to contest police accounts that he possessed 2.6 grams of cocaine when he was arrested on September 19 after a Las Vegas nightclub performance.

Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Joseph Sciscento set the February 14 date for his plea, the day after the 53rd Grammy Awards show in Los Angeles.

The 25-year-old singer-songwriter is nominated for seven Grammy awards including best male pop vocal.

Defence lawyer Blair Berk said her client appreciated the chance he was receiving as a first offender.

"We`re extremely pleased the charge against Bruno is going to be dismissed," she said.

The plea deal worked out last week calls for Mars to spend a year on probation, pay a USD 2,000 fine, perform 200 hours of community service and complete drug counselling.


Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.

First Published: Monday, February 7, 2011 - 10:27

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus