Deepak Dobriyal relives his nightmare of nearly going blind
Mumbai: While shooting for Annirudh Chautala’s film in Rajasthan, Deepak Dobriyal had the retina, cornea and lens of his left eye pierced in a freak accident. Two months later, he is on the way to recovery and says the ruptured eye and the disrupted career are both back on the road to recovery.
The accident took place April 11 and Deepak, the scene-stealer from "Omkara", "Tanu Weds Manu" and "Not A Love Story", and his hysterically anguished wife thought he had lost his vision, and his career, for good.
Reliving the nightmare, Deepak is amazed that he actually survived.
“It was a freak accident, of the kind that we never imagine would happen to us. I was wearing these riding glasses and my co-star’s hand accidently hit my eye. The chashma (the glasses) pierced my eye. At that time I didn’t know how bad the damage was. But looking at the expression and hearing the sobs of my director and co-star I thought, ‘Main to gaya, boss’ (I`m gone)," he said.
In agonising pain and bleeding profusely, the actor was rushed to a hospital in Jaipur where he was told he would probably never see from one eye.
Deepak’s thoughts were for his wife Lara and his two-year old son Golu.
“I wasn’t thinking of myself. But I was thinking of how my wife would react when she saw me like this. I was also worried about how this accident would impact my career.”
Luckily for Deepak, he is on the way to being healed and can now resume shooting.
It was a freak accident and he says: "My reflexes are well-known among my friends. In any sport, be it badminton, cricket or tennis, I am fully alert. How this accident happened is beyond explanation.
"After hearing that my lens, retina and cornea were shattered I thought I’d never see again with my left eye. But thanks to doctor Abhishek Kothari, who performed the emergency surgery in Jaipur, today, two months later, I am able to see light, colours and shapes with the damaged eye. By god’s grace, I’d be able to get my full vision back.”
Deepak is now under the best medical care in Mumbai and ready to resume work.
“It could’ve been much worse. People who are close to me were more panicky than I was. I had to constantly reassure them that I was doing fine. Friends were afraid to drop in. Imagine, I had to keep everyone`s spirits high while I was recovering from the injury, ha ha.”
The hugely talented actor is ready to regain lost ground.
“I am just happy to be alive. God is great.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Ahsaan Qureshi in talks for 'Tu Mera Hero'?
- Azharuddin trains Emraan for biopic 'Azhar'
- Still in discussion: Ekta Kapoor on female lead of 'Azhar'
- 'PK', joint productions create Bollywood buzz in China
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Neha Sharma to romance John Abraham in 'Hera Pheri 3'
- I was called silly for doing 'Fashion': Priyanka Chopra
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' cast to rock 'Comedy Nights With Kapil'
- Shah Rukh Khan discharged from hospital after knee surgery
- Ramayana miniatures go on show in Canberra
- Teenagers throws spotlight on social issues through theatre
- Paul Walker's 'Fast and Furious' Supra auctioned off for USD 185K
- No winning or losing in art: Helen Mirren
- 'Jungle Me Mangal': Matheran culture fest opens Thursday
- Lost 'My Fair Lady' songs to be performed after 60 years
- 'Hamilton' wins 2015 OBIE Award
- Music, performing arts festival near Pune from May 29
- Islamic calligraphy exhibition at National Museum
- 'Summer Art Carnival' to begin at National Gallery of Modern Art
- Elton John plans big screen adaptation of 'Billy Elliot'
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly