London: Detectives investigating Whitney Houston’s death are wondering if she accidentally drowned in the bath of her hotel room after taking prescription drugs and drinking heavily over the previous two evenings.
The troubled 48-year-old singer, who had battled years of addiction, was found dead in her room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles hours before she was due to attend a pre-Grammy party downstairs.
Two bodyguards, a hairdresser and stylist were believed to have been in the singer’s room at the time and discovered her body, with her head under the water, after becoming concerned that she had been in the bathroom for more than an hour, a leading daily has reported.
Prescription drugs, but no illegal drugs, were found in the suite. Houston was known to take Xanax, a drug to ease anxiety that can cause drowsiness, before performances. Anti-anxiety drugs Valium and Lorazepam were also believed to have been found.
An autopsy will establish whether the singer fell asleep and drowned, died from an overdose, or from some other cause. Paramedics tried to resuscitate her for 20 minutes but she was pronounced dead at 3.55pm (11.55pm GMT) on Saturday.