DiCaprio attacker to get two years in prison
Los Angeles: A woman accused of slashing Hollywood actor Leonardo DiCaprio`s face with a wine glass pleaded no contest Friday to the 2005 attack and is expected to serve two years in prison.
Former model Aretha Wilson, who was extradited to the United States from Canada, entered the plea just before the case was expected to go to trial and DiCaprio was due to take the witness stand against her, officials said.
Sentencing is scheduled for November 22 in Los Angeles County Superior Court.
The 40-year-old was expected to see 330 days credited for time already served behind bars in Los Angeles, but Judge Patricia Schnegg did not indicate whether her prison time in Canada, where she had fled after the incident, would count.
DiCaprio was rushed to hospital and received stitches to his face and ear after the June 17, 2005 attack.
During a hearing earlier this year, witness Eustace Hicks said he and DiCaprio were leaving a party in Hollywood Hills with another friend when Wilson appeared and cursed at the friend before attacking DiCaprio.
"She hit him with a wine glass... It appeared to be in his face... his neck and ear area," Hicks said.
After viewing photographs of the wounds, Judge Edmund Willcox Clarke said Wilson should be tried.
"This would not be an injury that would be called trivial or moderate in my view," he said.