Emma Thompson says youngsters’ poor language drive her ‘insane’
London: Don’t be stunned if you find Oscar-winning actress Emma Thompson giving English lessons because youngsters who use slang when communicating drive her ‘insane’.
The 51-year-old mother of two noted it was vital for teens to learn the difference between speaking to their friends and talking to people in authority.
"We have to reinvest, I think, in the idea of articulacy as a form of personal human freedom and power.I went to give a talk at my old school and the girls were all doing their `likes` and `innits?` and `it ain`ts`, which drives me insane. I told them, just don`t do it. Because it makes you sound stupid and you`re not stupid," the Telegraph quoted her as telling Radio Times.
"There is the necessity to have two languages – one that you use with your mates and the other that you need in any official capacity. Or you`re going to sound like a knob," she added.
Thompson’s hard talk may disappointment the youth but her point is likely to be better received by parents who are often at a loss as to understand what their offspring are saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kannada actor Shivarajkumar suffers minor heart attack, admitted to hospital
- Oops! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput bump into Saif Ali Khan, Kareena Kapoor in a gym!
- Sunny Leone blasts Kerala government for culling stray dogs
- Ellie Goulding suffering from heart problem
- Hrithik Roshan to champion 'World's Largest Lesson'