ET creator Carlo Rambaldi, dies at 86
London: Renowned special effects artist, Carlo Rambaldi, best known for his pioneering work on ‘ET the Extra Terrestrial’ died on Friday, after a long illness. He was 86.
Rambaldi died in hospital in the city of Lamezia Terme, in Italy’s Calabria region.
He worked with many Italian directors including Pier Paolo Pasolini and Dario Argento but got worldwide fame for his work in Hollywood.
Apart from Steven Spielberg’s ET, he worked on Ridley Scott’s 1979 film Alien and John Guillermin’s King Kong in 1976.
He was honoured with Oscars for all three.
Rambaldi was born in Vigarano Mainarda, near Ferrara in northeast Italy, and attended Bologna’s Fine Arts academy.
He was introduced to cinema in 1956 when he was asked to create a 16m (52ft) dragon for a low-budget science fiction film.
Rambaldi moved to Rome where his work drew the attention of producer Dino De Laurentiis, who brought him to Hollywood to work on ‘King Kong’.
Once in the US he mastered the art of mechatronics - a mix of mechanical and electronic engineering used to produce special effects.
Italian director Pupi Avati said that he was “a child who loved to play and make his toys”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Malay cuisine perfect for Indian market: Malaysian chef
- 'Maggie' review- Engaging zombie film
- Tochi Raina to raise funds for Nepal quake victims
- Facing media not easy: Amitabh Bachchan
- Comedian-actor Reynaldo Rey dies
- Actor Wally Cassell dies
- Michael Jackson's Neverland ranch on sale for USD 100 million
- Harrison Ford flies for first time since crash
- 'Welcome 2 Karachi' review- troublesome twosome
- Kangana, Shahid to star in Vishal Bhardwaj's next?
- Charlie Weber marries fiancee
- Jyotika and I may act together next year: Suriya
- 'Indian' sequel on the cards: A.M. Rathnam
- Naren turns baddie for 'Aranmanai 2'
- Taapsee Pannu to don khaki in Selvaraghavan's 'Kaan'
- 'Baahubali' trailer to launch in Dolby Atmos sound
- Miss India UAE Nivetha debuts in 'Oru Naal Koothu'
- 'Gour Hari Dastaan' to release on August 14
- Don't have time for Bollywood: Venkat Prabhu
- Anjali is Balakrishna's heroine in 'Dictator'
- 'Legend' success cemented my career in Telugu filmdom: Sonal Chauhan
- Pawan Kalyan sports bearded look for 'Gabbar Singh 2'
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org