Freida Pinto joins global leaders for call to action to empower girls
Washington: `Slumdog Millionaire` star Freida Pinto has joined the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and the World Bank President Jim Yong Kim for `Call to Action - Girl Rising` campaign.
The World Bank said Pinto, 28, would join the world leaders in Washington tomorrow at the screening of documentary film ‘Girl Rising’, made by Academy-Award-nominee Richard Robbins. The film showcases the power of education in transforming girls` lives around the globe.
The film is the centrepiece of 10x10 - a global campaign to educate and empower girls, the bank said in a statement.
Featuring voice narrations from Pinto, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, Kerry Washington and other celebrated actresses `Girl Rising` tells the stories of extraordinary girls from Haiti, India, Sierra Leone, Afghanistan, Peru, Cambodia, Egypt, Ethiopia and Nepal who fought against all odds for their right to receive an education.
Produced by award-winning former ABC News journalists of The Documentary Group and Paul G Allen`s Vulcan Productions, `Girl Rising` is powered by strategic partner, Intel Corporation, and global television distribution partner, CNN Films.
"The film is about the strength of the human spirit and the power of education to change the world," the World Bank said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonam Kapoor joins fight to make India hunger-free
- #Sandesh2Soldiers campaign: Aamir Khan, Salman and Akshay Kumar's special message to soldiers on Diwali
- Akshay Kumar is good health ambassador of 'Jaan Bachao' campaign
- Anushka Sharma singing 'Bulleya' to her pet dog is the cutest video you will see today!
- At 60, Mel Gibson all set to welcome ninth child!