Fun factor key element in choosing films, says John Abraham
Mumbai: What is John Abraham`s motto as an actor? Fun and commercial viability, perhaps in that order. He says that enjoyment is key when it comes to choosing a film.
He knew he would enjoy shooting with Akshay Kumar in ‘Desi Boyz’ and Abhishek Bachchan in ‘Dostana’, amongst the primary reasons for accepting those movies, John told IANS in an exclusive interview.
"I don`t look at commercial viability of a film more than I look at how much fun it will be. I know that I will enjoy working in certain films with certain people. I know that when people will watch the film, they will enjoy too," he said.
Apart from acting, John also produces films. He might not look at the commercial aspect of a film as an actor but, as a producer, ensures that no one loses money.
"As a producer, I make sure my product is smartly priced...no one should lose money," he said.
If the model-turned actor has been a part of potboilers like ‘Desi Boyz’, ‘Dostana’, and ‘Housefull 2’, he has also acted in non-commercial films like ‘Water’, ‘Aashayein’ and ‘No Smoking’.
Asked whom he regards as his direct competition in the industry, John said: "No one has done so many non-commercial ventures as I have done; so I don`t think there is any competition."
The 40-year-old, currently busy with his next production venture ‘Madras Cafe’, says he picked offbeat films because of the intelligent scripts.
"I liked the scripts, they were intelligent and so I did them... I could have easily done a `Desi Boyz` and got a hit," he said.
As a first-time producer, he picked up an unconventional theme for ‘Vicky Donor’ and then took another risk by roping in two newcomers as leads for the comedy that highlighted the issue of sperm donation. The film, starring Ayushman Khurana and Yami Gautam, was a runaway success at the box office last year.
He has, however, not been so lucky as an actor with his latest film ‘I, Me Aur Main’.
The film, he said, got mixed reactions because it had a niche target audience.
"Each film has its own target audience... It was a lovely and a sweet film," said the actor who yielded high results when he featured in actioners like "Force".
Viewers prefer him in action roles, he admits, but adds that this can`t stop him from trying out other genres.
"I know that my acceptance as an action hero is much higher. So I do action films like `Force` as well. But I enjoy comedy too," said John, who is also working for social causes.
He is part of a CSR initiative called ‘Powerlight a Village’ by Garnier. The aim is to provide solar electricity to remote villages across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Spanish director Vicente Aranda dies at 88
- Know about Vidya Balan's 'Adhuri Kahani'
- Arpita wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Ranveer missed Bhansali on 'Dil Dhadakne Do' sets
- Ricky Kej grateful to everyone who felt his music
- Newcomer Monica Sehgal gets taste of her popularity
- Akshay cosies up with Amy in 'Singh is Bliing'
- Sidharth Malhotra, Kriti Sanon 'As I Am' music anthem becomes a rage
- I will be back in Nepal with my children: Susan Sarandon
- BB King's death to be investigated as murder
- Get beach ready with easy hairstyles
- If you're 28, it doesn't mean you've to get married: Kangana Ranaut
- Lewis Hamilton, Gigi Hadid dating?
- Rebel Wilson sparks Mickey Gooch Jr dating rumors
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield hold hands post split
- Bradley Cooper, Irina Shayk getting serious?
- I was on my knees for 28 minutes to propose Amal: Clooney
- I fell for my boyfriend Justin Long on Instagram: Seyfried
- I want my husband to see me strong: Celine Dion
- Bieber goes hiking with model Jayde Pierce
- Irina Shayk dumped Cristiano Ronaldo for cheating on her
- Geri Halliwell marries F1 boss Christian Horner
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo