Government issues stamp to honour Kannada movie icon Raj Kumar
Bangalore: The central government has released a Rs5 stamp of Kannada movie icon Raj Kumar on Karnataka Rajyothsava Day.
"Raj Kumar ruled the industry like a colossus and was instrumental in charting the growth of the industry. He created a big viewership for Kannada films. And he also guided the Kannada film industry in times of need and showed that good cinema made with moral values and commitment can succeed at the Box Office," said Jayamala.
Jayanthi, who played Raj Kumar`s leading lady in several movies, said "he was not only a great actor but was also seen as a demi god for millions of his fans."
The stamp was released Sunday by Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa.
"The life sketch of Raj Kumar is a model to the people of Karnataka. He showed his class and remained as a Dhruva Taara (Pole Star) in the field of cinema. His achievement are unparalleled," said the chief minister.
The late actor`s wife Parvathamma Raj Kumar and his sons Shivaraj Kumar, Raghavendra Raj Kumar and Puneet Raj Kumar were also present at the do.
M.P. Rajan, chief postmaster general of the state, said that the postal department had earlier released 30 stamps of important personalities in the state.
"M. Vishweshwaraiah was the first Kannada personality to have received this honour and Raj Kumar is the 31st," said Rajan.
The sales of the stamp began Monday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bigg Boss, Day 47: Survival fight continues, inmates stumped by surprise exit!
- Tough times in India: Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra on intolerance row
- Response to 'Wazir' trailer makes Bejoy Nambiar 'ecstatic'
- Salman's 'Prem Ratan Dhan Payo' outraces lifetime earnings of '3 Idiots'
- Bigg Boss: Priya Malik to throw 'pee' on Kishwer in upcoming episode!
- We're going back to dark ages: Emraan Hashmi on film censorship
- Pooja Joshi of 'Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai' gets hitched to beau!
- Aamir Khan has every right to be worried, says Aparna Sen
- Everyone has right to an opinion, except a celebrity: Sonu Nigam
- Amitabh Bachchan reaches 18 mn followers on Twitter