Los Angeles: Actor Heath Ledger's father, Kim has revealed his son was himself responsible for his tragic death and also blamed his fame for not letting him had proper medical treatment.
Kim opened up about how the late Oscar-winning actor was completely aware of the drugs he took before dying, and said, his sister, Katie, even warned Ledger about the prescription medications, reported E! online.
"It was totally his fault. It was no one else's. He reached for them. He put them in his system. You can't blame anyone else in that situation.
"His sister was on the phone to him the night before telling him not to take the prescription medications with the sleeping tablets," Kim said.
Ledger died of an accidental overdose (combination of painkillers and sleeping pills) at the age of 28, in his New York apartment in January 2008.
Kim thinks that the actor's fame was also responsible for his deteriorated health to some extent.
"There's so much pressure on them to perform even if your body is telling you that it's not good and needs time, it's like just take these painkillers and keep going," he said.
The Australian-born star was popularly known for his critically-acclaimed performance in Christopher Nolan's 'The Dark Knight' in which he essayed the role of a Joker. The actor even received various accolades for it including a posthumous Academy Award in 2009.
Ledger is survived by his daughter Matilda Rose from his actress girlfriend Michelle Williams, with whom he separated in 2007.