Hilary Swank to donate Chechnya President gig fee to charity
London: Hollywood actress Hilary Swank is donating her personal acting fees to various charitable organisations after she attended a controversial event in Chechnya.
The two-time Oscar winner has “deeply regretted” her taking part in a birthday celebration for Ramzan Kadyrov, the Chechnyan President, who is accused of orchestrating human rights violations.
Human Rights Watch urged Swank and other celebrities who attended the event to return any money or gifts they received from the event.
Swank, 37, said that she was unaware of Kadyrov’s policies, which promotes fear, abductions and executions of those involved in Chechnya’s Islamist insurgency, the Telegraph reported.
The ‘Million Dollar Baby’ star was joined by co-actor Jean-Claude Van Damme, British violinist Vanessa Mae, and British singer Seal to mark, the Chechnyan President’s 35th birthday.
An official from Chechnya’s culture ministry disclosed that all four were paid to attend, with local media reporting that Vanessa Mae picked up a fee equivalent to about 320,000 pounds for her own performance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Arshad Warsi says 'Mata ka email' song doesn't intend to hurt anyone's sentiments
- 'Guddu Rangeela' conveys serious message with pinch of salt, says Arshad Warsi
- PIL against 'Mohalla Assi': HC fixes July 6 as date of hearing
- Sunny Leone to play cameo in Akshay Kumar's 'Singh Is Bliing'
- Katy Perry named Forbes highest paid female entertainer of 2015
- Watch: Shah Rukh Khan thanks his 'ardent' fans for loving him all these years!
- Salman Khan moved to tears after watching ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Watch: Salman Khan shares funny video featuring Kabir Khan!
- Deepika Padukone skips Arjun Kapoor's bash?