I have always been loyal to my country: Sanjay Dutt
Delhi: Following the Supreme Court’s verdict which upheld the conviction of Sanjay Dutt under the Arms Act in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case and sent him to five years in prison, the actor has spoken out. Dutt was convicted by TADA in the 1993 Mumbai Blasts case for possessing illegal arms, and sentenced to rigorous imprisonment of six years.
Dutt, who was convicted for illegally possessing weapons, had been awarded six years imprisonment by the TADA [Terrorists and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act] court.
The Bollywood actor had then taken his plea to the Supreme Court, and on March 21, 2013, the highest court in India upheld TADA’s verdict but reduced Dutt’s imprisonment term to 5 years. This effectively means that Dutt will be in jail for three years and six months as he has already undergone 18 months imprisonment.
Priya Dutt, the actor’s sister, on the other hand, broke down while addressing the media after hearing Sanjay’s fate.
A statement issued by Dutt reads, “I am sorry I can't come down and meet you all. I am shattered and in emotional distress. God is great and he will guide me through this. My family is very emotional right now and I have to be strong for them. They have always stood by me and supported me. I know in my heart that I have always been a good human being. I have respected the system and always been loyal to my country. I am going to complete all my films and won't let anyone down. I am overwhelmed by the support of my fans, the industry people, the media and all the well wishers. I have always respected the judicial system and will continue to do so, even with tears in my eyes. I am heart broken because today along with me, my 3 children and my wife and my family will undergo the punishment. I have already suffered for 20 years and been in jail for 18 months. If they want me to suffer more I have to be strong.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nick Jonas 'too short' to play James Bond
- Regina George's 'Mean Girls' mansion up for sale
- Sharon Osbourne taking one-month break
- Lively called Reynolds a 'hypocrite'
- Taylor Swift's fiercely loyal: Karlie Kloss
- Ed Sheeran may take year off
- Famed Detroit jazz trumpeter Marcus Belgrave dies at 78
- French immigration thriller bags Cannes Palme d'Or
- Rooney Mara, Emmanuelle Bercot share Cannes best actress award
- Feel sad to not see KKR at Eden: Shah Rukh Khan
- Anushka Sharma feels 'terrible' on being sick, misses fun with DDD boys
- John Stamos 'heartbroken'
- Selena Gomez eyeing reality show with Kris Jenner
- Bruce Greenwood joins 'American Crime Story'
- Stamos sad that Olsen twins won't return for 'Fuller House'
- Puneet Issar approached for 'Jhalak Dikhla Jaa'
- Excited that 'Dr Who' is finally in India: Steven Moffat
- Matthew Goode leaving 'The Good Wife'
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Sharon Osbourne taking month long break form 'The Talk'
- 'Supergirl' won't have cross over with 'Arrow' and 'The Flash'
- Time has come to quit 'Doctors': Ian Kelsey
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!